Help: 4WD flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: 4WD flywheel

Does anyone know if the automatic 4WD flywheel is the same as the manual 4WD flywheel?

Nope totally different.. between auto and manual... the auto uses a flex plate for the converter to bolt to. where as the manual uses a flywheel.

Comment

Doesn't the torque converter bolts to the flywheel instead of the clutch? that's how it is on fwd 323, i've taken one apart. I guess it's different for the 4WD than

Comment

no thats now how it is on a fwd vehicle... its exactly like he said.

the flywheel is a MANUAL transmission part and is NEVER used in an automatic application EVER.

the flex plate is a AUTOMATIC transmission part and is NEVER used in a manual application EVER.

the whole point of a flywheel is to transfer motion from the motor to the transmission through the clutch assembly (the clutch disk presses against the flywheel)... and an automatic uses the torque converter to transfer power... no need for a heavy part made for a clutch to grip when there is no clutch eh?
        Last edited by FazdaBoy4ever; 05-25-2007, 04:35 PM.
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

on top of that a flywheel is an energy storage device as well - think of it as a big capacitor for the engine ... without it, it wouldn't run very smoothly and would stall all the time.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for all the replies, i now feel stupid for not noticing that the flex plate is different from a flywheel, both seemed big and heavy.

Comment

Working...
            X