92 LX Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 LX Won't Start

Welp..I get another phone call from my sister about her car "breaking". This time it won't start. I went over there earlier tonight, but didn't have many tools on me so I couldn't check much.

FYI it is a 92 Automatic LX, pretty much stock except for a pacesetter header I installed (stock exhaust mani had a crack & was loud..so i convinced her to buy a pacesetter lol)

Anyways...this is slightly different from the majority of the "car won't start threads". This car simply doesn't turn over, or even click when you turn the key. I had the headlights on & turned the key & they didn't dim, nothing happens.

I know on my previous Protege & my MX3 you'd hear a "clicK" when you turn the key to the "start" position so I'm guessing maybe the relay?

Question is..where is this relay exactly? Under the dash or under the hood? I never really noticed.

Any other relays or modules that have to do with the start circuit? I wanna hit up the junkyard Saturday & just grab as many parts related to this as possible & just replace them 1 by 1 til its fixed.

BTW: the wires going to the starter are fine, including the ground. I didn't jump the + - on the starter tho, didn't know that was possible without shorting the battery.

Anyways, any insight to the locations of those relay(s) would be super-helpful. Thx guys!
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

check ignition coil as the relay should be under hood
    sigpicSLICK PROTEGE

Comment

Hey Wil, haven't seen ya around these parts in some time...
      I had the same problem a couple years ago, my ignition switch was shot, might wanna check that out.

93' 5spd DX
      R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem View Post
        Welp..I get another phone call from my sister about her car "breaking". This time it won't start. I went over there earlier tonight, but didn't have many tools on me so I couldn't check much.

FYI it is a 92 Automatic LX, pretty much stock except for a pacesetter header I installed (stock exhaust mani had a crack & was loud..so i convinced her to buy a pacesetter lol)

Anyways...this is slightly different from the majority of the "car won't start threads". This car simply doesn't turn over, or even click when you turn the key. I had the headlights on & turned the key & they didn't dim, nothing happens.

I know on my previous Protege & my MX3 you'd hear a "clicK" when you turn the key to the "start" position so I'm guessing maybe the relay?

Question is..where is this relay exactly? Under the dash or under the hood? I never really noticed.

Any other relays or modules that have to do with the start circuit? I wanna hit up the junkyard Saturday & just grab as many parts related to this as possible & just replace them 1 by 1 til its fixed.

BTW: the wires going to the starter are fine, including the ground. I didn't jump the + - on the starter tho, didn't know that was possible without shorting the battery.

Anyways, any insight to the locations of those relay(s) would be super-helpful. Thx guys!

Did you try to put the trans in neutral and give that a try?? Sometimes It can be a bad neutral safety switch.

Comment

I would think the car will turn over if the coil was bad. Ignition switch or the relay which is in the box under the hood.
          Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

it could be because of a bad ignition coil. also try to check your plugs, mazda spark plug wires, bad rotor arms and see to it that you have a clean connections.. good luck, hope you figure out what's wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X