Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak problems

heya,

ok to be truthfull i have been giving my car the boot lately sometimes but not like constantly as i drive about 15mins to work and at 100kmh or 62mph mostly and usually just cruise around

its starting to leak a bit around the front crank seal from what i have been looking at a glance because i noticed it dripping from the bottom mount not sure weather its power steering or AC but it was dripping oil and also it is around the other side to and on some of the sump bolts at the no.1 cylinder end and there was some on the timing belt pulley aswell

its only just started to do this and looks like its slowly getting worse
    ill go around it with degreaser tomorrow and check it out

is there anyway to fix it if it is from the crank seal my friends gtx did this to him on 2 seperate engines

From what a shop manual is showing, the front main(crankshaft) seal is pretty easy to replace. Also like you said clean up the engine and see exactly where its coming from. Could also be camshaft seals(again, wasy fix). Good luck
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

yea i had another look and from below it looks not so much from the crank seal as not that much dripped down the side its more on the plastic bit under the AC mount and all over the bottom of the mount and i noticed looking from the top there is a small amount from the head/block but i doubt that has anything to do with it

i dont think it is the cam seals i dont have my dust cover on and there isnt any oil at all leaking down the front of the back plate where the cover bolts to

hmm maybe ill clean it at work then on then drive home and then have another looksy

Comment

Front crank seal/oil pan gasket. Thats where mine is "moist" on my 169k 93 EGT!
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Yup best way to find it is use some engine cleaner... then take it for a spin and see where it's coming from.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
          Member of MX-3.com
          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

I replaced the cam and crankshaft seal on mine and no more leaks. When doing so found out that my waterpump was leaking also. So thats was a lot of work.

Comment

did u have the same sorta symptoms tho or was it just a straight leak

Comment

is 178 high k ?

i have changed the oil at 170 had castrol and 175 changed to valvoline

Comment

Oily mess on the side of the belt covers and dripping all over the AC unit. My timing belt was saturated with oil and anti freeze. Crank seal was a definite and also changed the cam seal just to be safe. Lets say a lot engine degreaser was used.

After all that work was done my oil level stays the same at full, the only time it drops a little is when its getting close to have its oil changed. At 170K it runs like a champ, except the cam followers are starting to chat a little bit at least its not clanging. No carbon build up at the tail pipe just a very light gray dust except the exhaust heat is slightly changing the stainless steel tail pipe a different color. At least it not burning oil what so ever.
                  Last edited by Dijadoit; 08-23-2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

from what i could see when i took everything off and clean it and went for a drive up the hills and back it looks like its coming from the dipstick pipe right from the base

and when i took the alt/water pump belt off and i put it back on the same way etc its whining really bad

Comment

Working...
                    X