Trans Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans Leaking

Okay I have a 91 Protege lx With the 1.8 DOHC with a Manual trans. About a week ago I noticed that the transmission was leaking. I jacked it up and couldn't pin point the leak. I replaced both out put seals to no avail. The fluid is coming from the top of the crosmember under the trans. Ill get pictures tomorrow.

John

Originally posted by jonathonsn View Post
    Okay I have a 91 Protege lx With the 1.8 DOHC with a Manual trans. About a week ago I noticed that the transmission was leaking. I jacked it up and couldn't pin point the leak. I replaced both out put seals to no avail. The fluid is coming from the top of the crosmember under the trans. Ill get pictures tomorrow.

John

Is it defiantly tranny fluid? Reason i ask is because on my 93 the crank seal and possibly oil pan gasket are leaking a good amount (169k on the motor!) and it got all the way under the tranny and it "seemed" like it was from the tranny until i touched it and then took a look at the color on my finger. Dark brown like oil...
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

its trans fluid. i drained the tranny and refiled it with fresh oil. the oil on the ground is clear and has the gear oil smell to it. and the same when it burns on the exhaust pipe.

Comment

its trans fluid. i drained the tranny and refiled it with fresh oil. the oil on the ground is clear and has the gear oil smell to it. and the same when it burns on the exhaust pipe.
        Crap. Well that sucks. High mileage on your car?
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

its got 165k. im hoping its something simple as the cars not worth a new trans. The motor is worn out (smokes) (either valve stem seals if im luky or piston rings)

Comment

its got 165k. im hoping its something simple as the cars not worth a new trans. The motor is worn out (smokes) (either valve stem seals if im luky or piston rings)
            Hmmm. Yeah my 93 has 169k and it "seems" to only be leaking oil here and there lol. As far as your smoking goes, you using Castrol GTX oil by chance? Its known to make cars smoke for some odd reason. Both me and Jon had that issue on our cars. Replaced the oil with valvoline and the smoking basically disappeared!

Comment

im pulling the x-member thats under the tranny thursday to see if i can find the leak.

as far as oil, i have ran gtx, mobil 1, kendal, but havent tried valvoline yet. every time you bring the rpms past 5 grand she looks like a fog machine.

the car's not a bad car, heck it beats my buddys honda accord off the line.

Comment

im pulling the x-member thats under the tranny thursday to see if i can find the leak.

as far as oil, i have ran gtx, mobil 1, kendal, but havent tried valvoline yet. every time you bring the rpms past 5 grand she looks like a fog machine.

the car's not a bad car, heck it beats my buddys honda accord off the line.
                Yeah nice cars for the $$$. Try REGULAR valvoline. And have you changed your PCV valve?

Comment

yeah i put a new pcv in it.
                  i tried thiker oil and i tried thinner oil, i even tried Lucas. the lucas made it really smoke.

but the oil consumption is a whole new project for latter on, i miss and need my car back. men just don;t look good in minivans i don;t care who ya are.

john

Comment

Well i found where the leak is, turns out ther was a bolt missing in the trans right above the x-member.

now to figure out what the smokeing problem is and ill be set to go.

john

Comment

Well i found where the leak is, turns out ther was a bolt missing in the trans right above the x-member.

now to figure out what the smokeing problem is and ill be set to go.

john
                      When/how did you lose a bolt?! yikes!

Comment

i bought the car used. when i drianed the tranny it had both Gear lub and auto tranny fluid in it.

Comment

Working...
                        X