Clutch Master.. Clutch Slave..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Master.. Clutch Slave..

Arrgh!!! Wife killed my car while she had it. Called me to say that the car would not go into gear.. I went over to see indeed that the car would not go into gear. Shut off the engine stuffed it into 1st and limped it home. Went to buy clutch master and clutch slave cylinder rebuild kits. Of course the parts house that told me that they had both kits in stock only had the slave kit. Bought it, came home , cussed a little and got the old one off, (a universal joint for the socket would have made it easy) and it was pretty worn out, the piston was really loose and slid in and out too easily. I got the kit on and filled the reservoir and had the son pump the clutch to bleed the system... its not moving any fluid.. Clutch pedal has no pressure at all... so I guess its wait till Tuesday when the parts house will have the clutch master cylinder rebuild kit... darn the luck.
    1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Smells like the last owners raised polecats in it! The interior is horrible!

Not a straight panel on the poor thing, nothing caved in, but the poor old thing is just dinged and pinged all over. Maybe it's Mazda cellulite?

OK, I've looked all over this !@$%^%^ firewall area inside and out and cannot find the &#&^@%$^ bolts, nuts, welds, glue or any ^@#^@#^$%^ thing that is holding this ^Q!#$%@#$%#$% clutch master cylinder to the !$%!$%!$% car!!! Anyone have any ^#^#%#$%$#%^ clues???
    1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Not a straight panel on the poor thing, nothing caved in, but the poor old thing is just dinged and pinged all over. Maybe it's Mazda cellulite?

Comment

The 2 nuts that hold the master in are in the inside
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by gtxdave View Post
          lol
          lol. That does sound bad right :roll.
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

mies one on the outside, and one on the in..... but thats a 323 for ya
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

OK, Finally got that #^&#$%^&& out of the car.. I had to take two nuts off the ends of the neutral safety switch or whatever the heck that #$&%^#$%%^ was. Had to disconnect the relay center and swing it out of the way to be able to get the switch out of the way. I finally got to the nut on the back of the firewall, this was of course while laying practically upside down in the front of the car under the steering wheel. I finally (after speaking in tongues and cursing the little elf SOBs' that got the thing in there in the first place!

had to drive 50 miles or so to get the rebuild kit.. Got the kit and some assorted doo-dads. Got the kit to the house and while I was away the monsoon rains hit the area and the car is sitting in about ten inches of water.. ugh!!!! I took the parts out of the box and got the master all cleaned up. got out the snap ring pliers and promptly snapped one of the the tips off the pliers

I got the other set of tips for the pliers and everything came out alright on the second attempt. Took the old parts out put the new parts in and its ready to go back into the car when the water level drops
              1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Comment

i've had good luck on the slave reseal kit. idk about trusting that for the master cylinder. you sure you attempted to bleed the master good enough??
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well, considering this thing has over 200 k on it.. and I was in the neighborhood, I decided to just rebuild both of them. I rebuilt the slave first, then attempted to bleed the master and it wasnt pushing any fluid anywhere.. So this (at $15) was not too bad.. other than the free yoga lessons that is... I'll install and bleed everything tomorrow.. weather permitting.
                  1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Comment

OK Now the fun begins.. I guess I'm going to have to go rent or buy a brake bleeder.. this thing isn't pushing or pulling fluid anywhere! ARRGH!!!
                    1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Comment

UPDATE: After reading the manual and a few more googles.. I got the darn thing bled out and working like a champ so for less that the cost of the clutch slave, I rebuilt the slave and the master and everything is back in business.. now as soon as the tiny cuts, bumps and sore ribs from stuffing my fat ass into and under the dashboard, ill feel better!!! Thanks for the moral support!
                      1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Comment

congrats man!
                        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Glad to see all is well. I can feel your pain in pulling and replacing that master cyl is. I think I was out of comision for a day or 2 after. What a terrible place to put a part.
                          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

The part wasn't the problem, it was all the other parts and sharp thingies, doodads and doohickies (all of them sharp or tethered by "too short" wires). I'm still doctoring the Mazda bites all over my hands... and sore ribs from lying upside down half in and half out of the drivers door.. BUT! The beotch is fixed! LOL
                            1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Comment

may i ask what kind of other symptoms you were having before the car wouldnt go in gear? I have 280k and have had the tranny not want to go into gear on two occasions. I had to pump the clutch a few times in order to baby it into gear. shifting anything above granny shifting is not an option. ( im thinkin my slave might need replacement/rebuilding) Confirm or unconfirm. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X