Frozen axels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen axels

Ok So I have tried just about everything except a nuclear bomb on my axels. I am re removing my tranny. Question for the protege pro's in here. On a 1991 Protege SOHC 5spd tranny, if I separate the bellhousing from the transaxle (i believe thats what its called) will I be able to free the axels? Like bang em out from teh inside out? Do I have to worry about any internals coming misaligned? i remember somebody talking about spider gears...

Thanks for any help!

I believe at least one axle has to be in the tranny or the spider gears become loose. Try what i did. Put a prybar from the bottom between the tranny and the axle and hammer it so it basically pushes it out with force. I used the same prybar with all my body weight plus pushing my body against the garage walls, etc. and nada. Did the hammering (hit single hard hits) on the prybar and came out in under 2 minutes. I was pissed that i wasted so much time but yet happy that it finally came out!
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

pry bar from the top should do it

Comment

Originally posted by smoke187 View Post
        pry bar from the top should do it
        I tried that and the bottom with two people. Didn't work. But then again i only tried hammering from the bottom eventually which worked.
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

Impact it with a hammer as suggested. You need an impact force to make it loose, not a constant applied force.

Comment

Just not too much of an impact My uncle hit a taurus axle with a small sledge hammer and pry bar once and cracked his housing. It was his fault for being slightly intoxicated at the time
            2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
              Just not too much of an impact My uncle hit a taurus axle with a small sledge hammer and pry bar once and cracked his housing. It was his fault for being slightly intoxicated at the time
              lol i could barely hit it with the hammer as it was a bit tight under there!

Comment

lol Well. I removed the tranny from the motor, and pulled the driver side axel off, I yanked the boot closest to the tranny off So now all I have is the passenger side axel to really get out tomorrow. then I will be able to remove the tranny entirely from under the car, and get this job done! I miss driving my 5spd.

Comment

DONE!

-had to remove the tranny,

-trashed both axels because the axel nuts were frozen on, so I ripped the inner cv boot off, leaving the other joint in the tranny. took the whole strut assembly out and then beat the crap outta the parts still sticking in the tranny (10 minutes of hammering the crap outta them and a prybar worked a like a charm!)

-broke two ratchets on the axel nuts, had to take it to two different shops to see if they could bust the axel nuts off. finally bought both remanned axels (total of 110 bucks, totally worth it)

now I get to put everything back together! Remember, there is ALWAYS a way!
                  Last edited by diflictedminds; 11-09-2007, 08:55 AM. Reason: dbl pst

Comment

i had a really hard time on mine when i replaced my axles. . . i had to wait for the car to cool down to get them come out, but after that i used a crowbar and a 5.b sledgehammer to coax them out. theyre definitely more effort than they should be.
                    sigpic

Comment

did you check the lip of the axle nut you know that they have to bend the lip on them in one spot for safety so they don't come off

Comment

i had the same problem on my pass. side DX -

i just left the inner boot in there, bought new axles, and rebanded them - so esentially everything is new, but you dont have to take the inner part of the axle out of the tranny.

Comment

yeah the lip, hit that with screw driver to straighten it, then applied force with ratchets...no bueno. the car hasnt had the axels removed for 200k from my understanding. pita!

Comment

Goddamn. I have NEVER had anything like the problems you guys have had getting axles outta a gearbox. Y'all must be lucky. Mine, you just give em a sharp yank by hand and they pop right out like they're supposed to...
                            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                              X