Horrible startup on the 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible startup on the 323

When I start the car it seems like it does not get any fuel. It will start fine and run good for about 5 seconds then the rpms drop a lot and it idles like crap for about a minute (sometimes cutting off) then it will go back to normal and idle fine. It does this with no load on the engine (no ac, radio or any other accessory on). It drives good and has no problems afterwards.
    I am new to tuning a turbo so does anyone have any ideas. I noticed the fuel pump relay wires were in pretty bad shape and the connector looked like it was in a vise at some point in time so i replaced the whole pigtail with a new one. It didn't help the problem.
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

My protege was doing the same thing. I replaced the fuel pressure reg. and the fuel filter and it fixed the problem. dunno if that helps any. ~steve
    90 LX PS/AC delete, pacesetter header, gutted cat, resonator delete, full 2 inch exhaust. rx7 VAF, home made intake, F&R ebay STB. 18* timing.
    200lbs in weight reduction. old school bmw 318 wheels

http://www.cardomain.com/id/gascanexplode

Comment

Disconnect the idle air control and see if it idles more evenly ( remember this will jump your rpms up to about 2 grand but it should stay even)
      Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

It went away. I linked the problem to washing the engine. My guess is the IAC got wet and was not working properly. There is a handful of sensors that seem to absorb water on this car. On my BH pro I've never had any water issues with washing the engine... Kinda retarded
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
          It went away. I linked the problem to washing the engine. My guess is the IAC got wet and was not working properly. There is a handful of sensors that seem to absorb water on this car. On my BH pro I've never had any water issues with washing the engine... Kinda retarded
          Its a older car stop complaining about the little details!
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2 View Post
            Its a older car stop complaining about the little details!
            I'm picky. Its the details that I pay attention to

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
              I'm picky. Its the details that I pay attention to
              Then you should have paid more attention to water + engine electronics = bad! Especially if the problem started RIGHT after a engine wash!
              **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
              95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2 View Post
                Then you should have paid more attention to water + engine electronics = bad! Especially if the problem started RIGHT after a engine wash!
                I did. I was curious if anyone had an idea what they thought was wrong. Clearly a sensor was wet

Comment

In your inital post you did not state that you had washed the engine... lol.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                  Member of MX-3.com
                  1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                  1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

My bad. Any thoughts?

Comment

my money's on a wet disty, cap, and rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
                        my money's on a wet disty, cap, and rotor.
                        I thought that too But why would it start up fine, then idle like **** for 30 seconds to a minute then run 100% normal. Thats what I don't understand

Comment

yep my truck does that when i start it up. its just build up/moisture in the cap/rotor.

JACK.
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

sweet. Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
                            X