Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant temp sensor problem

hello,

having some problems with my 300 dollar winter beater (1991 protege SE).

its got a brutal stumble sometimes, and seems to be caused by a rich mixture. diagnostic check threw code 9 too, which i believe is the coolant temp sensor, which could explain it (since it only does it when warm as well).

is this a common problem with these cars? do i only have the one sensor sending to both the ECU and the temp guage?

im kinda thinking it might be a ground problem, since it seems to start and stop when cornering hard or when the car is jarred (ie large bumps at triple digit speeds).

if anyone can point me in the direction of an online wiring diagram that might help diagnosing the ground too.

thanks in advance

Just change the sensor... I had the same thing happen in my 323, my buddies 323, and my race car. After a while, the water and the heat just makes them die...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

checked the diagnostic code and it threw a coolant temp sensor code, so i replaced it.

its running good now, but just today my guage started bouncing around again. its running ok still, but this isnt a good sign if the sensor is used by the ECU and guage.

is there just the one sensor? or does the one wire sensor send to the fan and guage?

Comment

One sensor for the ecu AND one more for the gauge. Ie they are seperate.
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
        X