Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a block be sandblasted after machine work is done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a block be sandblasted after machine work is done?

Smart guy me got the machine work done before stripping the block. I found a place yesterday that can do the line boring that I need done but should I get my block sandblaster now or should I wait till after the line boring is done?

What about glass beading too? Any better or worse?
    Last edited by svtfast; 03-05-2008, 04:39 AM.
    Block is almost done, cylinders are overboard for Weisco pistons, pro gram billet main caps have been line bored, and my chinese EDT rods have been machined to right specs. Everything has been balanced.

Blast it before boring.Pack and seal it as good as possible so that you don't find any blasting material after.

Comment

Couldnt I just wash the block off after the blasting? I think that would be easier than trying to cover up every hole. The tranny housing I just did was a pain in the ass.
      Block is almost done, cylinders are overboard for Weisco pistons, pro gram billet main caps have been line bored, and my chinese EDT rods have been machined to right specs. Everything has been balanced.

Comment

Get it hot tanked. It will come out nice and clean without the worry of sand getting in every crack and crevice. If you feel you must blast it, have it soda blasted. The Soda is water soluble so it will come out when you clean the block.

Kane

Comment

you do not wanna sand blast it!! most people get it hot tanked and then glass bead'ed

Comment

If you blast it blast before doing the machining and use something that won't harm metal. I'd use a paint stripper before even considering any blasting.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Soda blasting will work. It strips paint and "light" rust. It's also a light enough media that it doesn't cause dimensional change to the substrate. It does take longer than Aluminum Oxide or Glass Bead....but cleanup is a helluva lot easier.
              Drew
              '95 EGT 1.8
              T
              '93 ELX 1.9 SC
              '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

hot tanking should be a factor in all boring. it shouldn't just be something they suggest.

NEUMAN

Comment

Hot tanking = gets off grease and mud, won't get off rust
                  Soda blasting = won't get off grease and mud without making more mud, gets off mild rust
                  Sand blasting = won't get off grease and mud without making more mud, gets off all rust... too abrasive, don't do it
                  Glass beading = won't get off grease and mud without making more mud, gets off all rust

Basically what I did to mine was hot tank to get off the grease and mud... then when it's dry then you glass bead it, MAKING SURE YOU TAKE OUT ALL BOLTS AND PLUGS!!! When are you done, then you clean it 1000 times cause if one grain of glass gets into your oil... cry.

... and no you should NOT glassbead anything after it is machined.
                  1. CLEAN
                  2. MACHINE
                  3. WASH

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                  Member of MX-3.com
                  1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                  1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Just JET WASHED... basically a giant dishwasher.

HOT TANKED and dried off... blow out all the bolt holes and oil galleries, no water allowed in the glass beader!

GLASS BEADED... very important to wash ALL the glass outta the block, unless you like rebuilding engines.

NOTE: Hit up my thread below in my signature... that's the proper way to building my race engine.

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

How do you wash all of the blast media out of the block? I mean, there are about a million places for grains of sand to hide.

Comment

We put it in the jet wash (giant parts washer) and then we pressure washed all the holes with water.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shades View Post
                          We put it in the jet wash (giant parts washer) and then we pressure washed all the holes with water.
                          that's what I did to mine. Gets it very clean, but doesn't clean the paint or rust off the block, so it still looks ugly. Shades, how would a steam cleaner/jet wash compare to a hot tank? about the same?
                          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I knew shades would make his way to this thread. He's like a drug dog only he sniffs out motor building threads lol.
                            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                              I knew shades would make his way to this thread. He's like a drug dog only he sniffs out motor building threads lol.
                              {SNIFF... SNIFF SNIFF} HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL!... {PEE ON SOMEONE'S TIRES}

Originally posted by almighty4wd View Post
                              that's what I did to mine. Gets it very clean, but doesn't clean the paint or rust off the block, so it still looks ugly. Shades, how would a steam cleaner/jet wash compare to a hot tank? about the same?
                              Well if you hot tank something you still have all the costic soda all over the block... it's kinda a given to wash the block off, either pressure wash with hot water, or jet wash it. Jet wash a machine shop has to do... pressure wash can be done on your own.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Working...
                              X