• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head bolt to stud ?

Hypothetical situation - you have a BP engine head torqued down
    with stock type head bolts. If some arp bolts were to fall from the
    heavens for a low price of 120 USD, can you replace the stock ones
    one at a time without needing a new head gasket?

Like remove center bottom and retorque the arp stud and continue
    out in a circular pattern?

Does this compromise the head gasket?

that's a damned good question. I think I'd feel sketchy though, it might warp the head, which would suck. I think if I was going to put ARP studs in I just pull the head, to prevent warping the head or studs.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

The head in question has also not been run or broken in,
      just torqued down.

Comment

I would say. Don't chance it. Sell the studs to me instead. Then you won't have this problem
        Drew
        '95 EGT 1.8
        T
        '93 ELX 1.9 SC
        '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Naw I think what im going to do is buy an uber head gasket
          and use the arp's. The gasket I used im kinda iffy about anyway
          because its for a miata, it had some wierd hole blockages...

Comment

hehe. was worth a shot :-P

If the head has only been tq'd down and not run. It would still be pretty easy just to knock the head off again. Just be super easy on taking off the bolts. Like only do an 1/8 turn on each one as you go through the cycle pattern of taking them off.
            Drew
            '95 EGT 1.8
            T
            '93 ELX 1.9 SC
            '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

This site has the studs on for $99us plus shipping. IPP
              In case you don't know the part number, it is the miata ones, part number 218-4701.

I think mine came to $114 total when I ordered them and I am from Canada too. I, also, wouldn't take the chance on the head gasket, I would just change it and forget about it instead of always wondering if it was going to fail

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Shop 506-577-6708
              cell 506-381-3503
              email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

definetly dont do them 1 at a time because they have to be put in in a rotaitional order. Do yourself a favor and grab another headgasket and just do it right the first time
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by almighty4wd View Post
                  that's a damned good question. I think I'd feel sketchy though, it might warp the head, which would suck. I think if I was going to put ARP studs in I just pull the head, to prevent warping the head or studs.
                  On a stone cold engine replacing one stud at a time is hardly likely to cause warping or any other kind of problem, why would it?, warping only occurs when the head is hot, or when it torqued down in wrong sequence.

If it was torqued down properly in the first place I would have no hesitation doing one stud at a time. It is Moot point here since he is gonna pull the head anyway.

Pat.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mx3optidrive View Post
                    This site has the studs on for $99us plus shipping. IPP
                    In case you don't know the part number, it is the miata ones, part number 218-4701.
                    Not to shabby of a site...and some good prices there. Those Carillo/K1 rods look interesting @ $375
                    Drew
                    '95 EGT 1.8
                    T
                    '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                    '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                      definetly dont do them 1 at a time because they have to be put in in a rotaitional order. Do yourself a favor and grab another headgasket and just do it right the first time
                      If the engine hasn't been run, why put in a new head gasket? I would think he could just remove the bolts in the correct order and then install the studs.

Comment

Working...
                      X