My car is back on the road....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car is back on the road....

YAY!!!! With the new tires I can corner hard enough to stall it with 1/2 tank. Problems though; I think I have a collapsed lifter (superficial wear on the cam loud ticking), and my breaks need bleeding big time (engine breaking does the same amount to stop me as my brakes do).

Collapsed lifters can sound like rod knock right? This is right after re-doing the bottom end with the head not being used in a year with cams in. The lifter that knocks/ticks and whose cam lobe has wear was depressed for the storage time.

Now my dad is telling me to sell my "worthless piece of junk" but my truck is only fun in the winter / rain / off road. Plus there is the 35mpg thing that the truck can't do. Meh, I'm getting a job thats higher paying than his and moving out as soon as I qualify for a mortgage then I can keep all the toys I want .

put in some seafoam to sort out the lifter issue, as thats what most people do unless u wanna get in there and clean the HLA's.

Comment

A product suggested to me by a machinist was rislone sp? He basicly said if this doesn't do it get new lifters but that it works 90% of the time.

Has anyone else had problems with their engine stalling with low gas in the tank? It's a new highflow pump that uses original wiring with the original sock cleaned in a clean tank of new gas. I only does this with 1/2 tank if I make a sharp turn at 80kph-ish and at 30kph-ish if my low fuel light is on. I'm running an oem 323 tank with all the baffling and its clean.

Comment

Originally posted by inferno94 View Post
        Has anyone else had problems with their engine stalling with low gas in the tank?
        Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Which way do you turn to make it stall?
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Mostly right as thats generally the tightest turn you make but it'll do it to the left too. I'm wondering if a ground is loose or something?

Comment

Mostly right as thats generally the tightest turn you make but it'll do it to the left too. I'm wondering if a ground is loose or something?
            Does a high pressure fuel pump help with this problem?

Comment

Well it did till I got new tires and can pull stupid G's in the corners now I'm back to square 1. If I drive the car normally and only go fast in a straight line it doesn't have the problem.

Comment

The top of the pump has to be sealed tight against the bracket or it will bleed pressure. I'm looking into bracing the pump as well to limit its movement in the tank.
                1990 Protege 4WD
                GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                  Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Which way do you turn to make it stall?
                  Tried an experiment and it's only on hard rights that it cuts out (eg on ramps )

You say that the pump must be better secured? I'm also having erratic flashing of the low fuel light during spirited driving with 1/2 tank or less but this may just be due to gas moving.

Comment

After trying many things with no success I put more gas in the car (it now has 3/4 tank) and my stalling problem is gone!

I almost couldn't believe it, I drove home with a big stupid grin on my face the whole way.

Comment

somewhere on feoa.net there was an article about the fuel pump issue. I didn't link it since it doesn't affect my 4wd. but the fix was easy, and it was the small hose that when you turned, flexed, causing the pump to sputter and not go to full pressure or something like that. the dood replaced the hose with some fuel grade hose and a couple zipties for extra security, and hasn't had problems since.
                      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by almighty4wd View Post
                        somewhere on feoa.net there was an article about the fuel pump issue. I didn't link it since it doesn't affect my 4wd. but the fix was easy, and it was the small hose that when you turned, flexed, causing the pump to sputter and not go to full pressure or something like that. the dood replaced the hose with some fuel grade hose and a couple zipties for extra security, and hasn't had problems since.
                        You mean the hose from the pump to the sending unit?

Comment

My car does that as well, I just keep the tank close to full whenever I autocross. The car does over 1g too and it's fine if there's enough gas.

Comment

i heard it was possibly from the baffles as well, that the fuel pickup isn't low enough or something...? idk lol

JACK.
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

You mean the hose from the pump to the sending unit?
                              I believe so. it was 6+ months ago when I read it, so I might be fuzzy on memory.
                              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X