Opinions on compression..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
    How do you adjust your valve timing if you go over .020"? I was going to do a total of .030"....020"head and .010"block.
    Yeah adjustable gears would be the way to go...

I personally would just shave off enough to get it flat OR clean (no corrosion marks). I think I took off maybe .010" on my head and maybe .005" on my block.

In the engine rebuilders association they usually only give you a number to shave off the heads and not the block... if we do they block then we try not to go over .010".

I've never measured the limit till you reach interference, but .050" ain't a lot and some head gaskets are thicker/thinner than others... also if you throw in larger valves you will run into issues.

I say unless you're all out racing your car, sure shave off everything to get your compression up... but for a daily driven car, I'd let the pistons do the compression changes for you rather than shaving stuff.

That's just my .020 cents...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Randell, Go .010 head and .010 block and grab those 10:1 pistons. You'll be happy.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I've got my head shaved as much as the machine shop thought I could go (they knew I was looking for everything I can get out of my N/A race motor) I dont have an exact # they took off I'll have to ask them. I also got the miata pistons for this season and the car runs real strong. Thats with the exhintake mod too. The miata pistons have the same reliefs cut into them as the egt pistons do so clearance isnt an issue. I did have to bump my timing up to 18-20 degrees because of the head being shaved.
        On a side note I took apart my 96 egt motor and a 93 egt motor and I noticed a difference in the pistons. The 93 had a slight dish to it and the 96 had a dome on it(looks the exact opposite of the dish on the 93) The 96 dome wasnt near as big as the miata piston but it was more than the 93. Anybody ran across this yet?

Comment

^^^thats the change to true 9:1 Vs the typical 8.8:1 we see on a average basis
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
          X