No announcement yet.

Seafoam, advice from the experienced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The oil was changed last weekend, so I'll have to wait a bit.
    Wouldn't want to waste it.

The car runs great, very nice pick up too...this little beast can really take off. It's just this vibration the car has.
    I guess it could be the motor mounts, but when the idle is increased, by the gas pedal, it really smoothens out.
    The car has had two great tune ups in the past 2 years....Very little improvment.

And the Seafoam was only suggested as an idea to clean out the engine.
    325,000km

The car vibrates more sitting in gear, foot on brake. (Automatic).
    Vibration is cut in half when I slip the car into neutral.

And some days the vibration is worse than others. This is my wifes car so I barely drive it, and therefore have not had the chance to notice any type of pattern.
    As in...
    Is the vibration worse when the engine is cold?, when it's cold out, rainy, etc, etc...

Comment

that sounds like a resonant vibration. My car has one of those @ 750 RPM.
      I have solid urethane motor mounts.....but that is the only RPM that I get the resonant frequency on. So i just upped my idle on the throttle body. I idle @ 900 RPM now....no more problem.
      Drew
      '95 EGT 1.8
      T
      '93 ELX 1.9 SC
      '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

my idle is like 1100. I was hoping this would lower it some. I also recently changed the oil so im not adding it to the oil any time soon. I need to check the intake mani for leaks and check the idle set screw.
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
        |.....Overnight....................| ||
        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

do your Ten-Gnd test mode when you adjust the idle. That should default it to the base idle and not the altered idle when the car is running normally.
          Drew
          '95 EGT 1.8
          T
          '93 ELX 1.9 SC
          '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

i'll try that
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

What is required to do this idle check/adjust. Do I need a gun?
              Oh...
              Every so often I check for codes, and sometimes there is a code for "Running rich". Code 17 if I remember correctly...

Comment

Hey Guys,
                Any thoughts on this OBDI code, # 17?

As for the idle, I'm not sure what to try?
                Motor/tranny mounts?
                Does code 17 have anything to do with it?

I guess I could bump the idle up, but this is an automatic.
                So I wouldn't want my wife busting a CV joint.

Comment

How are you thinking you would bust a CV?
                  Drew
                  '95 EGT 1.8
                  T
                  '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                  '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

I believe it's just a temporary fix to whatever the problem is... might be worth a try.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                    Member of MX-3.com
                    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

I guess I would bust a CV joint, she would give a nice "clunk" when it would go into gear.
                      In the winter when the idle is, my wife makes sures the idle kicks down before puting it into gear. I have had a few hard shift enagements in this car.

But busting a CV joint... maybe not

Anyways, I guess my goal is to try and eliminate the vibration.
                      We've had the car for almst 5 years, and the vibration has come into play in the last 2 years.

I said previously that this car has had tune ups and nothing has improved the vibration.
                      The car runs great, and has fantastic mileage, so I'm not sure what to look at.

Where can I get some info this "Ten-Gnd test mode"
                      Will that help?
                      What would cause the car to run rich?

Comment

Working...
                      X