Car taking several cranks to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car taking several cranks to start

The car has taken up to 8 cranks to start, it's annoying, embarrassing and isn't good for my starter.

It only does this when cold, could my cam timing be off a tiny bit? Car runs awesome otherwise. All I could think of is that I just cleaned the IAC (was having hot start issues because it was clogged, now fixed) and changed the timing belt.

Mind you I had all the timing marks lined up perfectly and triple checked it but you never know.

How does it run once you get it started?

EDIT: nevermind I just re-read your post.

If it runs OK it doesn't sound like a timing problem to me. Could be a clogged air or fuel passage?
    Last edited by me109; 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

crank angle sensor? Fuel filter?
      I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
      |.....Overnight....................| ||
      |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
      |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
      "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
      Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I just did a high flow fuel pump and its sock but haven't changed the fuel filter in a couple years (the car has only been driven 3 months a year out of the past 2 years but..). I was thinking this but then wouldn't there be the same issue on hot starts? It fires with less than one crank on hot starts.

BTW it's a bp26 so no CAS

Could the pump not be coming on fast enough? Its one that uses the factory harness so one would think it wouldn't be that....

Comment

fuel leak in a line ... doesnt have to be much just enough to bleed pressure after sitting for a while? just a guess

Comment

It doesn't leak anything (thanks for the suggestion though)

Comment

Too much timing advance could do that too so check you disty position

Comment

Been here before. It's the high flow fuel pump. The main and COMMON problem is that people try to keep the stock fuel pulsation damper. The little round diaphram looking thing inbetween the pump and outlet. After being in a tank for 15 years it lets the fuel pressure leak down while it sits. It's only sealed with little rubber lips and is pushed on very easily by hand. I just attached my pump in an EGT with a length of fuel injection hose, and fuel injection clamps. IMO the damper is not needed at all. No new cars come with it. I think its just a hold over from the begining of fuel injection days when they thought the pumping action of the fuel pump would hurt something.
                If it's a Walbro then there's an anti-drain back valve, in the outlet (Little plastic pintle valve, with little stamped steel cap). This can sometimes get dislogged and cause fuel pressure to leak down. By dislogged I mean coming part way out the outlet and partway into the tube. My little metal cap was MIA and the plastic valve was working its way out.
                My car had both these issues, so once the pump was in and out about 5 times the car fires in about a crank and a half.

Comment

Working...
                X