Another Case o' High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Case o' High Idle

I think I have read all the threads on CP and not found any real answers on how to fix a high idle on a BP... I'm looking for any info that anyone may have:

Last night I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires on my '91 LX. UNFORTUNATELY, the idle is now unhappy. Prior to this it would idle perfectly in P or N but bog down to 600rpm in R or D. Now it idles at 1100-1400rpm (fluctuates slightly) in P or N and ~900rpm in R or D. It seems like the idle just kicked up 300-500rpm in general.

I checked/adjusted the throttle stop but could not adjust the idle down to correct. I unplugged the idle control valve and the idle jumped up 300rpm as the Haynes manual said it should. I don't think there are any air leaks - the idle was low before implying no leaks. I left the battery unplugged all last night thinking possibly the much-needed tuneup confused the computer, but it's the same situation 16 hours later. Timing is correct as reported by the smog technician who passed it a week ago.

There are no specs for adjusting the automated idle in the Haynes or Chilton manual, and all the threads on CP I read don't have much in the way of suggestions. On Fords the position of the throttle position sensor affects idle - is that true here?

I'll spray carb cleaner around and see if there are any spikes, and try and get a new temp sensor in... any other suggestions?

turn the idle stop screw clockwise
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Yeah, I did that first. I thought perhaps the previous owner had compensated for a bad state of tune by turning up the idle...

That wasn't it...

One thing I forgot I did was replace the valve cover gasket. Apparently while doing so the hose from the intake manifold to the PCV gave up the ghost, and there was a 1/2" long split in it on the BOTTOM. I never would have noticed it, but the carb cleaner did.... as soon as I sprayed in that area the idle surged and I knew I'd found it.

Decided to replace the PCV, hose, and grommet while I was there. Of course all the chain auto parts stores don't stock that grommet, but the 'Toyota" grommet from the "HELP" section worked just fine - a nice tight fit and plenty of lip to avoid having it sucked in to the intake.

Car idles wonderfully now...

In my searching I did notice that the intake hose (from VAF to throttlebody) is in crappy shape, so I'm picking one of those up tomorrow after we get to LA. Driveway repairs FTW...

Wish me luck - the car has been on the road for two weeks and we're taking on a 500 mile drive across California. Should be fun...

Comment

check the ohms of the idle speed sensor on the bottom of the throttle it should be 11-13 ohms cold if its not in range its bad also with the car running and fully warmed up try unplugging it if your rpm's jump above 2000 its still good working but also still check the ohms it could be working but out of spec

i know my iacv is bad because when i turn things on my idle don't change it been at 1100 rpms for 2 months now

Comment

Working...
        X