Fuel pump upgrade for the 4WD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump upgrade for the 4WD

I have a couple questions about the fuel system on the 4wd. I understand there there are 2 pumps,One to feed the engine and one to transfer fuel to the other side cause the tank is divided into two cause of the driveshaft.

Im installing a walbro 255 fuel pump and was curious if I need to install a larger transfer pump. And my other question is how often does this transfer pump run?
    And is there a sensor/float to determine when it runs. Cause I also changed the chassis harness from a 4wd to the LX protege so I can have power windows and mirrors and all other LX accesories, and I want to make sure the 4wd fuel system will operate properly.
    Last edited by TurboProto; 06-08-2008, 01:00 AM.
    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

The stock transfer pump should be all you need. It runs whenever there is fuel in the right side of the tank. Each pump has its own sending unit/float. If you descide to upgrade it, look for a high flow pump rather than a high pressure pump.

Also check out 323gtx.co.uk and fordlaser.com as they have more experience with 4wd models in their respective markets.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

I dont think youll need more than the stock one since the most important is to have the right pressur to the engine... not to the tank..

Comment

I believe that I dont have to change the transfer pump now cause the one that is in there now is from a GTX. Running the LX chassis harness and the LX ecu wont affect the transfer system?
        I also just got a Mazda Factory Service manual and Im going to do some research on the power sources for the fuel system cause I have a fuel pump kill switch and want to make sure that it doesnt affect the power for the transfer pump.
        1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyBees View Post
          I dont think youll need more than the stock one since the most important is to have the right pressur to the engine... not to the tank..
          Well I just dont want to starve the main fuel pump under hard cornering and hard boosting

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

The transfer pump operates in 10 sec intervals if I'm not mistaken. So it's never on all the time. Worst case, if you think that you might have issues, remove the timer unit from under the seat and connect the transfer pump to the same power source as your main pump. But I would just leave it alone and make sure I always have enough gas instead.

Comment

Im going to be running the LX chassis harness and the LX ecu and then standalone with a walbro 255 fuel pump. Will it affect the fuel transfer system?
              Last edited by TurboProto; 06-14-2008, 10:04 PM.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

you could just put the transfer pump on a switch... if your racing or running it hard make sure to have it on, but when your just crusin around town just make sure your tank is topped of... that way if it does starve you can turn the transfer pump on and start it back up (kinda like switching between 2 tanks).

personally for me when i run into that problem i would rather just splice the timer into the lx harness...
                There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Thanks everyone for there info. I already wired the walbro to a fused 12v source with a hidden kill switch. And I figured out how to power the timer for the transfer pump so I think im all good.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X