Project 323 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project 323 rebuild

hey guys i currently own a 1991 323 with a BP05 swap. my problem is i have gone threw 2 motors with in 6 months max....Now the car has been sitting for almost a year, october makes it... my problem is i keep spinning rod bearings, my 1st engine i swapped i didnt care i would rev it to about 300rpms b4 limiter then shift, that motor lasted 3 months...now my seconds motor was a daily driver, weekend warrior, and i would shift 1000rpms b4 redline, cuz threw tha forums i learned BPs don't like 2 rev high....that motor lasted 3 months... same thing accured on both, spun rod bearing.....now these were both junkyard engines with less than 120,000 miles on there clocks, both have been flushed and used mobil 1 oil, never checked the bearings or crank, just dropped them in.... the motor i want 2 drop in next will also be a BP05 but completly rebuild, OEM, for a daily driver, and if i still have the boost bug in me in 4 months, i will boost my BP with a T25 turbo i have around.... but after all that i have been threw, what bearings and fasteners should i get for my rebuild??? i used Fel-Pro for all of my gaskets and never had any problems, but now i wanna dig into this motor and i need 2 know which parts 2 get... All Input Is Welcome on my build, with boost in mind down tha road, most likely after intial break-in plus a couple months of daily driving, nothing crazy just 1 lil sleeper, 10lbs is enough for me.... My Eclipse is my race car, i want this 2 be a reliable daily.

Okay, when you say you shifted 300/1000 rpms before the limiter, are you talking about on the track, or daily driving it as well?
    Tyler has spoken

Comment

judging by his post im going to assume that the he drives the car HARD all the time......thats just what i took from it.

also if your swapping in a motor with 120,000 miles from the junkyard you might want to check out the internals if you want it to last for another 120k miles.

just my opinion tho.......do it right the first time
      My Car Domain
      My VB Garage

1994 Protege LX

Cold Air Intake
      Cat Back Exhaust

5 Speed Tranny Conversion.....Coming This Summer

Comment

yeah thats what I understood as well, and I have the same advice, don't expect a 120k mile engine to last very long if you beat it hard. You have to maintain it a bit.

as for bearings I think OEM mazda is recommended if I'm not mistaken, and for fasteners I know ARP has good reputation.

Nick
        Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
        sigpic

Comment

Was the jy car in an accident? If not then maybe the ppl didn't want to put anymore money into it and just junked it.
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I've owned 3 different Proteges since I was 16, I've always driven them hard, and I've never had any problems. They rev high all day.

Stop beating the sh!t out of your car and it might last longer than a week.

Comment

Yes i did use the car as a daily, but when i did my 1st swap i needed the car on tha road in 2 weeks, cuz i was starting a new job that was a good 20min backroad drive.... i didnt beat on the car eveyday, but i did do alot of spirited driving on mostly friday nights and saturday nights, back roads and yes some "track time", but then same thing acurd with the second engine swap, i only had 4 days to get the car on the road... so i didnt have time 2 do it the right way, and now that i have gained experiance as a mechanic i want 2 learn more about my engine.... yes i admit i did beat the sh!t out of my motor, but i have learned from that the hard way, now i want this 2 b my daily, so all i've got out of u guys so far is OEM bearings:rod bearings, main bearings.... ARP fasteners: head bolts/studs, rod cap bolt, main journal bolt. Are these special order for BP05's cuz i see them for Miata's.... i know they use the same 1.8 block but please guide me in the right direction

Comment

Your paragraph style posts are one long continuous run on sentence that is very confusing not to mention hard to follow and it takes too long to read it and i start thinking of other things and lose focus because of my ADD and by the time i have finished reading it i forget what i have just read and need to start over but then i just get lost and give up so what exactly are you asking okay thanks
                Last edited by Jho; 07-05-2008, 10:28 AM.

Comment

sorry bout all of the comma's, what is needed for a bottom end rebuild?

Comment

I'd either buy OEM parts or from here: http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

Comment

....or?

Comment

Or what?

Comment

Working...
                        X