Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious vibration issue but have changed many parts

My car is a 1991 protege with the 1.8 dohc
    I have a serious vibration issue in drive/neutral/park that occurs when rpms are below 900
    I have so far changed all 4 mounts, radiator mounts, timing belt, checked timing(it was perfect) and a complete tune-up

someone suggested to me the harmonic balancer but the crankshaft pulley (which is where my manual says it's located) is just a solid pulley with two sets of grooves for both belts. does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the harmonic balancer or check it.
    Thanks

The harmonic balancer IS your crank shaft pulley. It is supposed to be balanced. If it is not, it will cause a serious vibration.

Comment

how would I check if it is balanced

Comment

Well if it is the original, and this problem wasn't always there, then I would say that the harmonic balancer is not the cause. They come balanced from the factory.

Comment

Make sure all the mounts are torqued properly, or at least tight
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
            Make sure all the mounts are torqued properly, or at least tight
            Or are the right mounts to begin with and are installed properly.

And make sure that the lower tranny brace is tight and that the bushings aren't too worn and still exist.

Comment

Well , i've acutally removed and installed the mounts several times to check for issues. each time the vibration is the same. I do tighten them properly but you would think there would be some varitaion between installs if under/over tightening was the problem.

Comment

Over tightening wouldn't cause a vibration, it wouldn't really cause any negative effects, as long as you didn't break anything.

Under tightening, sure, if they were loose, or loose enough that the bolts would rattle loose, that would cause all sorts of vibration.

Comment

Well they are all new mounts, and even after changing each one at a time over the past year the vibration level never changed.

Comment

What kind of mounts are they?

Comment

anchor for the two on the crossmember. I don't remember the brand of the one under the battery and the one near the timing belt cover

Comment

heres one you probably didnt think of

change the jack shaft/ prop shaft ( the axle that mounts to the motor)
                        eat me

Comment

would the drive shaft cause vibration at idle though?. The car drives very smooth

Comment

have you looked at the shifter bushings?
                            eat me

Comment

The vibration is most prominent in the wheel and frame and only during idle the shifter is smooth

Comment

Working...
                              X