HLA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HLA question

Well I rebuilt the bottom end and never did anything with the top end as of yet. I used the NA head. Well the lifters or so it seems chatter off and on sometimes they do others they don't. This is also implying before and after a drive.

So I had another set of lifters, took them apart and cleaned them out. They all are movable and squishy. Under oil they build a little pressure or so it seems. Well the ones currently on my car will not press down at all. At least on the intake side. Even if I remove them I can't press them in. Well which ones are the better of the two. Are the ones currently on my car all crusty inside and thus being the reason they won't move?

-Steve

The stiffer of the 2 would be the best(if they are lifters that have just came out of a running engine, not something that has sit for a good period of time), being that they are full of oil and not junk. If you get a lifter knock at first startup for 10 to 20 seconds, your lifters will still be fine for a good while. Whats happening is if it sits for a long time the lifters leak down.
    Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

try to clean your hla's with kleen flo engine flush or a similar product, it's a solvant you put before changing the oil. you put it in the oil fill hole and let the engine run at idle for few minutes (no load). it usually solve lifter noise. you could also go the hard way and use acetone instead of engine flush. you use it the same way you would do with the engine flush. some people use it on the gtx group but I never tried the acetone. I used engine flush on a couple of engines and it reduced the noise. I also noticed the oil can make a difference.

Comment

on my 1st BP engine ( im at 4th now) if i left it for a week then tried to start it the HLA would start to make there sound

did a engine flush and good oil change...it didnt come back again, the new oil helps big time as they dont collapse as fast as crappy oil does, they are under pressure ya see

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
        1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

Working...
        X