head gasket leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket leak

ok got a little bit of a problem. i rebuilt my bp and had the block decked and bored. i had the cylinder head redone and resurfaced. i put high compression (10.5:1) pistons in. put it all back together and put the engine in the car. started it up and it runs awsome. i brought it in to work and did a check after 100miles and seen my head gasket was leaking coolant. i took the valve cover off and retorqued the head. i check it again the other day and it is still leaking a little bit. my question is if running that compression should i use a copper head gasket and a head stud kit?
    92 pro

you're sure tis coming from the head gasket? I thought I had a leaky headgasket but it turned out that both my fan thermoswitch gasket, and coolant temp sensor were leaking a bit. Now its all good and tehre's no more coolant on the block.

Nick
    Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
    sigpic

Comment

Definetly give more details like where is it coming from exactly,what head gasket did you use,ect ect. The more details the better all the fine ppl at cp can help you figure the problem out.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Stock HG is an MLS gasket, which should be just fine. Did you use new head bolts, torque them in the correct sequence, and to the correct torque spec? Last I looked, ARP head studs were close to the same price as replacement head bolts, so there is no excuse for not using them in the first place.
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

the gasket was leaking around the front and the back of the block right at the crack where the head and the block meet. i did not use new head bolts. the gasket was in a stock gasket kit i got off of importperformanceparts.net. it was a metal type gasket. ya i torqued them all in sequence and to the corrected torque spec. once i retorqued the head i only see it leaking on the back of the block once again right in the crack on the head and block. it isnt even enought to cuase a drip it evaperates before it can run down. i am gunna pull it in the shop later this week and recheck to see how bad it is leaking again. it isnt getting to my oil that i can see. i am gunna run a coolant pressure check later this week too and i will tell you all the results.
          92 pro

Comment

Let me get this straight: you had a bunch of machine work done to the block and head, put in high-comp pistons, re-used throwaway headbolts, and now you're wondering why you have a head gasket leak?
            sigpic

Comment

why are they throw away bolts. the book doesnt show them as torque to yeild bolts. and look i am looking for advise not to be critisized.
              92 pro

Comment

They are stretch bolts, so when you torque them down, the have some "stretch" in them. If they are not in spec, which it appears is the case, you should never re-use them.

Save yourself the pressure test for the coolant system and go buy some new head bolts: NOW if not soon!
                1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

they are torque to yield bolts. All headbolts are technically considered this. Once they're TQed to or passed their elastic limit they're no good a 2nd time.

ARP is your best friend right now.

JACK.
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I cannot fathom why you would ever use a set of head bolts more than once, especially when building a motor. Considering the cost/benefit of ARP studs, there is no reason to not buy them in the first place, and the ARP studs (according to ARP) can be used up to three times before they need to be replaced, unless there is a problem.

My book says to replace the head bolts when replacing the head gasket.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                      I cannot fathom why you would ever use a set of head bolts more than once, especially when building a motor. Considering the cost/benefit of ARP studs, there is no reason to not buy them in the first place, and the ARP studs (according to ARP) can be used up to three times before they need to be replaced, unless there is a problem.

My book says to replace the head bolts when replacing the head gasket.
                      Yep, everything I've read recommends to replace the head bolts with the head gasket.

To thread jack:

I was debating getting ARP head studs, but are they really any better? What are some of the benefits?

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

-Multi-use
                        -Help align the head/HG properly during assembly
                        -Allow for more accurate and consistent torque loading on the head with increased clamping force

Basically, decreases the likelihood of getting a BHG on your nice boosted or hi-comp motor, assuming you built it right.
                        sigpic

Comment

with that said can i order arp studs online or do i have to call them to order. can someone give me a link please
                          92 pro

Comment

Google and eBay are you friends; expect to pay between 105-130 for a set. The are listed as Miata Head Studs.

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

BPT Power....Drop a gear and disappear.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X