Changing piston rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing piston rings?

The BPT is burning oil in 4th cylinder (spark plug soaked in oil)
    Is Changing ring set will completely solve problem , cause there must be dammage to sleeve to?
    Is that only patching the problem? .....because im still thinking about oversizing all cylinder and puttin brand new stuff in stronger(forget piston, moly ring)
    My bpt is aleredy modified and i dont want to do this again in 2 years

Ty

If you change the rings, you have to at least hone and measure the cylinder walls.

Comment

Have you done a leak down test on the motor?
      BPT Power....Drop a gear and disappear.sigpic

Comment

Have your cylinders mic'd to make sure they're dtill in spec. If they're still in spec and you can still see the cross-hatching then you don't have to have it honed. Honing it will make it take longer for the rings to seat, and you'll have extra metal shavings in your crankcase. I've built tons of engines that way with nothing but good results, even though everyone says it's ridiculous. The cross hatching will seat the rings almost instantly, as opposed to having to wear down the hone first. You still need to break them in, it just doesn't take near as long.

The main things you need to pay attention to when putting everything back together are torque specs and tightening sequences. Having a manual with you through the rebuild will help you more than you know.

Comment

So, mesuring spec and changing ring set does need to take motor out?
          What is leak down test?
          TY

Comment

I will have it done by professional ,guy specialized in building rebuilding bloc on muscle car , so i think its no big deal to him, i just wanna know exaclty what im getting into because i love my protégé 92 with bpt so much.........u know whut im talking about V8 killer

Comment

Yes, you'll have to take the motor out to have it rebuilt.

A leak down test will tell you if your engine is holding compression like it should in each cylinder. Are you sure it's your piston rings making you burn oil? A worn out turbo can also leak oil into your intake that will caue smoke coming from your exhaust.

Comment

if you havnt started on this yet try something for me. itll cost about 10 bucks

get a 2 cans seafoam and a long funnel

pull plug wires and plugs
                hand crank engine (or bump over) untill all cylinders are even.
                Pour even amounts of seamfoam in the cylinders

Put plugs back in hand tight
                let sit 1-2 days

plug plugs put towel over Valve cover.
                crank enging several times to get seafoam out

once your sure its mostly blown out put plugs back in and run caruntill white smoke is gone.
                eat me

Comment

Originally posted by redheddude222 View Post
                  Yes, you'll have to take the motor out to have it rebuilt.

A leak down test will tell you if your engine is holding compression like it should in each cylinder. Are you sure it's your piston rings making you burn oil? A worn out turbo can also leak oil into your intake that will caue smoke coming from your exhaust.

Julee and i rebuilt her motor in her car we knew the oil rings were not working and the car smoked all the time when cold but had plenty of compression

one down four to go

coper spray on gasket used twice! 3rd time this head gaskets been inst
                  eat me

Comment

the car is in storage rightnow caus we got lot of snow here in quebec, ill look for this before spending my money like an idiot!

Comment

oh btw i did melt pistons on a gtx before and messed up the rings as well. i ended up just tossing in 9:1 miata pistons worked great spooled a little quicker to
                      eat me

Comment

ty, u pepeole are nice.
                        leak down test is ...........compresion test?

Comment

sorry i dont understand steamfoam part

Comment

Originally posted by Protégé17psi View Post
                            ty, u pepeole are nice.
                            leak down test is ...........compresion test?
                            You shouldn't be touching any internal part of the motor.
                            Get a used long block and have a shop rebuild it.
                            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                            Originally posted by HopelessCow
                            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

i have 4 block availible wink wink
                              eat me

Comment

Working...
                              X