Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thick white smoke from the exaust (only in the morning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thick white smoke from the exaust (only in the morning)

Hello Everyone,
    I have 1994 Protege wit 140000 miles on it, its a manual and love it with my life. But in the last few months it has started to give out white smoke only in the mornings, that is when I start it for the first time in the day. After a while of running like 10mins there is no smoke at all. I tried the engine treatment oil which says that it seals or helps to improve compression and stop oil leaks for Kragen auto store. Now the smoke has increased so much that I cant believe my eyes can any one tell me what might have happened.

Thanks
    Bharath

If it's white it's probably steam since the air is cooler. If it's blue, I'd say it's valve stem seals.

Comment

Its blue, surely not steam I know, usually how much does it cost to get them changed??? thanks for your help

Comment

You have to take the head off to do it. It's normally easiest to take it to a machine shop to have it done. The valve stem seals come in a head gasket kit, which you'll need to buy if you're going to pull the head.

Comment

white smoke=coolant
          what's it smell like? I can't think of any smoke in a gas engine that fits the bill. White smoke from a diesel on startup? yeah but not this car.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

my very first b6 did this.
            its the seals leaking (like previously mentioned) then after the engine warms up a bit they expand, and seal.

i can tell you from experience.

make arrangements to fix this soon

you can drive on it a bit, but its a slippery slope to engine explodey.
            Next!
            sigpic

Comment

if it smells like "burnt pretzels" or other sweet smell then its coolant
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

if it smells like burnt babies, you have a much bigger problem.
                Next!
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the help , but I know its oil being burnt because my other car in india used to do it and I can make out the difference between oil and any thing else, surprising enough today it did not smoke on start up at all !

Comment

mine does the same thing. look at my thread valve seals a couple down from this one.
                    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                    VF10 powered!
                    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Working...
                    X