Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling Issues

Hey guys,

I am racing a BG Mazda 323 with a 16v 1600 SOHC. Ever sice I completed my build I had cooling problems up to the point where I blew a head gasket (good reason to do some porting and cam work lol). I have since replaced the waterpump, thermostat and got the radiator cleaned. Its much much better now but it still gets hot after a run around the track. Since the thermostat and waterpump is brand new, I assume the radiator isnt up to the task of cooling the engine. So this brings me to my question... what radiator will fit my Mazda and improve my cooling? I dont know if the GTX/GTR models had bigger radiators but I dont really care as long as it is up to the task.

Thanks in advance
    SUPERWAXER

The DOHC proteges had a larger (1 inch thick) core. Not 100% sure if it was the auto DOHCs or 5spd as well but that would be the easiest upgrade.

The GTX/R still used the 1 inch core which is plenty.

Comment

Thanks I found one! I also found an aluminium one for the GTR/GTX models with a 55mm core. Will this fit my Mazda?
      SUPERWAXER

Comment

What about upgrading your rad fans to two instead of one?... and having a toggle bypass switch so that you can turn it on when you race it to provide cooling before the thermostatic switch turns it on.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
        Member of MX-3.com
        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades View Post
          What about upgrading your rad fans to two instead of one?... and having a toggle bypass switch so that you can turn it on when you race it to provide cooling before the thermostatic switch turns it on.
          That could work. Will it be sufficient over the long-term though?
          SUPERWAXER

Comment

Originally posted by superwaxer View Post
            Thanks I found one! I also found an aluminium one for the GTR/GTX models with a 55mm core. Will this fit my Mazda?
            Yes the GTX/R ones are a drop in replacement.

Comment

Use that rad with a couple fans and that oughtta do it. I was thinking I'd need some bigger badder rad for the rallycar but so far, it's plenty good enough.
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thanks for the advice people it made my decision much easier. I tried to go with the dual fan setup but my aftermarket headers got in the way so I decided on the aluminium radiator. It was a drop in replacement and the fitment was smooth and painless. However, I had to cut out a piece of the bonnet's under-bonnet structuring. I will go racing with it tomorrow to see how it performs. Thanks again!
                SUPERWAXER

Comment

Working...
                X