price for a head rebuild in MN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

price for a head rebuild in MN?

Anyone know how much you are going to spend for a complete head rebuild on a 93 BP? I just did mine on the cheap (reused headbolts, reused head gasket. it is smoking white smoke.) I was thinking about getting some +1mm valves and doing it right.

how much have people spent? if it's not too bad, I'm going to do it! I just don't want to owe the machine shop a mint...

well CLOSE THE HOOD on your car and step away from it..... reused your headgasket wtf are you thinking who told you that you can reuse a head gasket theres your problem right there.
    Check out the Pics
    sigpic
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
    Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

you got a PM

Comment

Originally posted by elander View Post
        Anyone know how much you are going to spend for a complete head rebuild on a 93 BP? I just did mine on the cheap (reused headbolts, reused head gasket. it is smoking white smoke.) I was thinking about getting some +1mm valves and doing it right.

how much have people spent? if it's not too bad, I'm going to do it! I just don't want to owe the machine shop a mint...
        HOLY FCUK... why the hell did you take the head off if you were gonna reuse everything?! Next time, after you do that... just drive it into a lake and wait for insurance. You'll make money instead of spend more because you didn't do it right the first time.

I don't know why people want to do the 1mm oversize valves when they're not gonna do anything else like a port job to match the bigger valve. That's like saying I want to change my exhaust to 3" and then put on a 2" muffler.

My suggestion, if money is tight... save up before you take it to a machine shop and get the whole head rebuilt with new valve seals and get a NEW head gasket. Save your money on the oversize valves and get the thing done right. You will probably need new exhaust guides cause ever head I've rebuilt they were worn down. What you're gonna get is a shaved head, valve grind, and NEW valve seals.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
        Member of MX-3.com
        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

^ I was going to type the same thing, but I just told the guy to give me a call so I can explain to him how to do it right. No call though

Comment

so when you take it to the shop your supposed to bring all the stuff that needs to be replaced or do they have a catalogue they can order stuff out of and they order the parts like valve seals and exhaust guides?
            Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
            "Who Dey"

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
              so when you take it to the shop your supposed to bring all the stuff that needs to be replaced or do they have a catalogue they can order stuff out of and they order the parts like valve seals and exhaust guides?
              These seem like really good questions to ask a machine shop. Call around in your area and get some prices and ideas of how they work. They won't bite, I promise. They want your business and will work with you. You are not the first person to ask them these questions.

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                Well most machine shops SHOULD operate where they buy the parts needed to do the job... unless you're buying an eBay gasket and seals kit, then you give them the seals so they can put it on if you're not going to reassemble it yourself.

Valve guides, valves, etc are all in a big catalog where they can order it... unless you want to go with something special like bronze guides or whatever they should be able to get them too.

If they can't order any parts or stuff, then take your business elsewhere.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                Member of MX-3.com
                1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by cat34evr View Post
                  These seem like really good questions to ask a machine shop. Call around in your area and get some prices and ideas of how they work. They won't bite, I promise. They want your business and will work with you. You are not the first person to ask them these questions.
                  It was just a question to go along with another to an exmachinist.
                  Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                  "Who Dey"

Comment

mx3_4evr would be your best bet to find out local information. I asked you in the other thread, if you had used old gaskets or put in new ones!

Hope you get things sorted out!

Comment

i put in new pistons and rings...and then new valve stem seals. the thing smokes like crazy, but the valve surfaces look OK. It is smoking and I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't really need it, so it is just a hobby...

I'm looking for guidance more than anything...

Could I just put on new gaskets and be ok?

Comment

we already answered your questions so repeating em isnt gonna help you take it apart and check make sure you didnt screw anyting up and PUT A NEW HEADGASKET IN YOU CAN NOT RE USE THEM. that is YOUR PROBLEM !!!! unless you got it hot again and ****ed the head then youll need another head or have that one rebuilt
                        Check out the Pics
                        sigpic
                        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
                        Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

If you are worried about it take the head to the machine shop and at least have them check it for warpage. If all is good slap a new gasket in and you should be ok. By the way some machine shops can be rediculous up here, I once had a guy try and charge me 800 bucks for a head rebuild and he polished the wrong side
                          ]

Comment

i put new valve stem seals, pistons, rings and honed the cylinder. the car started right up. but it smokes some white smoke.

You think a new head gasket would do it? i can have the head off in under 2 hrs. I am at a dilemma of just **** canning the whole thing or re -doing it...

Comment

yes, pull and replace the HG, I find it a bit odd you replaced all that and not the HG? Actually, I am shocked you could pull the old gasket off without destroying it? also, verify you have the timing marks in sync. I replaced a blown HG in the 626 a couple months back and getting the head milled, pressure checked and rebuilt with the parts I supplied was ~$225.
                              Last edited by DeanSweetP5; 05-16-2009, 01:25 PM.
                              'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
                              -Dean
                              2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
                              18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
                              Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
                              MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
                              Injen CAI - Polished
                              Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
                              DaveB trim rings
                              Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
                              Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
                              Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
                              Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
                              Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
                              Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
                              Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
                              Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Working...
                              X