Lower end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower end rebuild

Basically, thread title states it all. I want to do a lower end rebuild and trying to get a parts list together, and basically everything that I would need. The only reason I'm doing this because I have a rod knock and pretty sure my #3 rod needs to be replaced. If I replace all the piston rings will I need to get the block rehoned?

When I replaced the bearing on the knocking rod, there were no major knicks/marks/groves/whatever in the crankshaft. But after the replacement bearing went in and the rod cap torqued to spec, there was play in the cap. It wouldn't go up and down, but would go side to side, so I think the rod end is just out of round. Should I just attempt to get a new rod and see if it checks out with std rod bearings and plastigauge? Or, should I just get the crankshaft remanned?

I plan on replacing water and oil pumps, of course. Along with front/rear main seals. Timing belt and associated pulleys and ARP head studs.

The only thing about this lower end rebuild that could put a hamper on things, is a $700 budget.
    -Dennis
    95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 - 191k miles

I'll be back in the BG game eventually!

Sounds like your crankshaft journals were wore down so much that now you have play in the rods. I would take the crankshaft to a machine shop to check clearances and prehaps get it grounded down to .010 if it's salvageble. And please re-hone your bores if there is not cross pattern lol

Comment

Working...
    X