awd to fwd..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awd to fwd..

okay so i lost my licence while back, getting it back in about 3 months.. turns out the police dont like cars racing an spinnnig out :O but anyway, my dearist gtx is needing a new clutch, so the trans is coming out. i was thinking bout selling the 4wd box an putting a fwd box in.. iv heard that many people are getting the mazda astina gearboxs (same as the fwd familia im guessing?!) an droppin them into the gtx's hence making the fwd, rumor is that theyr a stronger gear box an makes the car abit quicker cause ur nt loosing power in the center dif read dif? iv heard else where that the gear ratios are made more for top speed rather then accelration so id be loosing power? im not sure which is tru.. bt im sure uz will kno lol

i wudnt start wurk on the gear box for awhile due to fukal money an the real craving for a front mount , but it does have to come out at some stage. so whats the pros an cons, probs i might find along the way an any other info?

cheers all

haha k that cuddle thing was abit weird but i havnt been on on here in ages hehehe lmaori!!!.... got maself a new msn pic lol

thanks again

oh an p.s.. lol i kno im not shutting up ( ) lol but i did do a search an cudnt find anything, if there is something on clubprotege that i missed an wud answer my questions, feel free to redirect me an close this post, dont wanna clog up the forum
    Last edited by Juju'sGTX; 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM. Reason: grrr stupid typos

Might be straight line faster because of less weight, and drivetrain losses, but the centerdiff isn't really eating up torque, any more than any other diff. Some of the FWD boxes are stronger, if for no other reason than havine more wheelspin and not having an xfer section to break.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

its easily done ... but you are going to miss 4x4
      familia 1.8 gt gearbox and axles are bolt on. all you need is the mounts . and the gear shifter and cutting a small hole in the bottom of the car.

then remowe the drive shaft.

Comment

cheers, well my center diff is leaking oil where the axle meets, is more then annoing because its such a mish to top up/check the oil levels on it!

but im not to keen on awd, it doesnt have the suspension to handle as it should atm.. im tempted to get afew fat fukers sitting on the car an putting cable ties around the springs to keep them compressed an make the gtx sit abit (well.. actually alot) lower

but it def sounds like a doable project, jus scared, like you mentiond, of keeping traction

now this is probley very much a newb question, an i may very well get the big frown from all fellow members, but the gt is the 1.8 correct? because i found this --------------> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-270086482.htm
        an hes saying hes using a "fwd gearbox out of a 1600gt familia" :s

Comment

here the gt is a 1800 ?

Comment

i thought it was 1800 aswell.. hmmmmm.. i found another car saying they wur selling a gt.. but it was 1500.. wtfs going on in this country lol

can anyone else put some light on this subject? cos its truly got me confussed :s i really thort the gt was 1800?

Comment

Working...
            X