5-spd trans rebuild advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-spd trans rebuild advice

I'm having no luck finding a used trans at a reasonable price. $350-400 is too much when I can have mine rebuilt for $500-600. So having nothing to lose I'm going to pull my trans apart and replace broken parts(shifter forks I think). Anyway anything to look out for as I disassemble/assemble the trans? Other than broken stuff anything I should replace while I have it apart?

You wanna check your bearings and your synchro's.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

In case you need a part, I should have whatever you need. I have the innards of 2-3 transmissions in the shed.

--Ferdi
      If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
      -----
      Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
      Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
      Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

^^^ same goes for me.

if you open it, keyway the bearing races & if you can afford it put a LSD in. if you can't afford it, weld the diff pin to the diff casing so it doesn't cause you any worry down the line
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. i'll be pulling the gearbox out tomorrow. still hoping on finding a good used one.

Comment

Working...
          X