Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quietest Straight-Through 2.5" Exhaust Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quietest Straight-Through 2.5" Exhaust Possible?

ok.

I've had it with the cabin noise and people saying I'm too old to have a "car like that".
    I did the 5th gear swap just to knock down the RPM's so I didn't have to go nuts on the highway at cruise.

Current Setup that I built from scraps:

Turbo, SS Turbo Flex, Melted Cat, SS 2.25" x 18" Resonator from some truck, Some OBX muffler I got for 10$.

New Setup in Progress (Need Help Here):

Turbo, SS Turbo Flex, 2.5" Metal Core Cat, --What Resonator? 2 Resonators? Different Sizes?--, Apexi World Sport 2 Muffler

I'm going for THE quietest exhaust possible, but still be totally straight through. I spent some serious money to get an Apexi WS2 Muffler because everyone agreed that it's THE quietest so far.
    Now I want go nuts with building this exhaust!
    Drew
    '95 EGT 1.8
    T
    '93 ELX 1.9 SC
    '91 ELX 1.9

I remember reading an article from back in the day where Mike Kojima said that Walker mufflers are a great combination of decent pricing, excellent flow, and low noise... I think Spintech makes some resonators that will knock the noise down by a fair amount too.

Edit: Keep in mind a hi-flow cat is not going to be a whole lot quieter than a melted/gutted cat, the only difference that I've ever noticed was that the gutted cat is a LOT buzzier when you're off the throttle.
    Last edited by atomicEGT; 03-05-2010, 11:48 PM.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

you can always pus another muffler for a resonator, like the 4 inch magnaflow, right now i'm running 2.25 all strait with a 16 inch long by 6 inch round magnaflow and if i want more quiet i will add a 14 by 4 inch magnaflow muffler.
      2012 Kia rio
      2009 Nissan Frontier
      1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

I'm not worried about the Cat in a Noise Sense. I just listed it cause I melted my current Ceramic core to nothing. So a new Metal core is going on to I still am good with Emissions.

I like my cars...but I'm not going to be a douche and run cat-less.

I've thought about putting in a second muffler. The Vibrant "Super Quiet" Silencers are like that. Just small mufflers.
        Drew
        '95 EGT 1.8
        T
        '93 ELX 1.9 SC
        '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

first, use a chambered muffler
          second, use a resonator

with that combination your car will be MUCH quieter. Straight through is never quiet.

Comment

My buddy had a pretty quiet straight through setup on her car. She Had no cat with 3 resonators one right after the other. It was ghetto but actually pretty quiet.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Straight through mufflers are the worst (every rice noodle Civic has one and sounds like a bike, and you know those aren't quiet), like Lex said you want a chambered muffler... I think the most important is the muffler, and I don't know how much resonators do for sound.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
              Member of MX-3.com
              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

The resonator I have currently is a chambered one. I have a feeling it's actually Causing my problem. I'm hitting it's specific resonant frequency when I'm cruising and it's booming in the cabin.
                Drew
                '95 EGT 1.8
                T
                '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

resonators lower the sound a lot. I ran with one and without and they really do the job.
                  Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                  "Who Dey"

Comment

On my car Its all factory back to the axle then I clamped on a resonator from a mazda3. heres a youtube clip
                    This is the exhaust on my Mazda Protege. I took off the stock muffler and replaced it with the resonator from a Mazda 3. I think it sounds pretty good. www....
                    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                    VF10 powered!
                    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      On my car Its all factory back to the axle then I clamped on a resonator from a mazda3. heres a youtube clip
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr_Wxa7JnnA
                      That's just about perfect I'm aiming for a nice tone myself. Was told do a nice 4" magnaflow res to another smaller res then a muffler(non straight thru)
                      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

FWIW, a friend of mine had the Apexi dunk muffler on his 1.8 gtx. I don't remember what he had in between, but that thing was the quietest I've ever heard. It was pretty much like stock, even on start up.
                        Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

metal core cat sounds sexy

i'd recommend a chambered muffler for your install, hell even resonated exhaust tips help!

i'd also recommend a resonator...i usually just go to Canadian Tire and grab a 2.5" 18" long round resonator/muffler, they only have to chambers so it won't add lots of restriction!
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

high-flow cat (metal core or not, whatever..) Resonator = the LONGEST cherrybomb/thrush/whatever glasspack you can fit in the space or, get the longest magnaflow 4" round muffler you can fit there. with your muffler at the back. I'd recommend a chambered muffler also, like a standard "turbo" style muffler, like Cherry Bomb makes. Make SURE that the exhaust exits PAST the rear bumper. if it's before it, the sound will still resonate like a bitch.

On my wagon, I run from the downpipe, with nothing else until the Moroso Spiral Flow muffler in the back, with a 45° elbow as a turn-down in the back. Might get a change, as it does drone a LOT at interstate speeds. Maybe try wrapping the spare tire well with some sound deadening material (unless you're trying to keep weight down), as I'm pretty sure that it's the spare tire well acting as an acoustic amplifyer to the frequency that drones...

actually, that moroso spiral-flow might make a REALLY good resonator. it's not a full-chambered muffler, but it's not 100% straight through either. I got mine at jegs (or was it summit?) for 50 shipped a few years ago...

--sarge

Comment

come to think of it, my EGT didn't have much drone and it had the spare tire well cut out and replaced with a flat piece of steel...hmmm, interesting concept sarge!
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X