Did BPs come with different oil pans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did BPs come with different oil pans?

I was looking at a part number index for a 1990 323 with a BP and it shows some odd things. The text is in russain so I cannot read it.

I want new oil pan bolts but when I plug in the PN for the bolts I get this:

Electrical - Alternator - Alternator - Bolt
    2.0 liter 1997

I am sure Mazda reused bolts but where can I find out if these bolts work on my oil pan that came from a 94 EGT?
    Block is almost done, cylinders are overboard for Weisco pistons, pro gram billet main caps have been line bored, and my chinese EDT rods have been machined to right specs. Everything has been balanced.

as far as I know the only different BP oil pans were on Miatas, (sump opposite side)
    And on 2nd gen BPs which didnt have all the same forged internals (Stamped steel pan)

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
    MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

And o'course the BPT pan has an oil return bung for the turbo... but I don't think the bolt pattern's any different.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

automatic BP oil pans are different from manual BP

Comment

correct, manual and auto pans are different.
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
            correct, manual and auto pans are different.
            how are they different? i got a bp from the junkyard and its off an auto . Will there be any issues bolting this to a manual car or do i have to change the pan?

Comment

There is also a skimpy stamped steel bp oil pan iirc.

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
              HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
              Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

Lazer- the only different is there's a cutout on the auto pan to get to the tq converter bolts. Just make sure the black cover is on it or you could risk getting debris in your clutch
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

thats good to know. Thanks for the info !

Comment

Getting that black cover back in is damn near impossible.
                    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                    VF10 powered!
                    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

mine, well not mine anymore, but anywyas, has been running for about 60-80k kms without anything over that hole, I probably should let the new owner know that he might want to cover it up.
                      I've never had issues with it but u never know.

Nick
                      Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                        Getting that black cover back in is damn near impossible.
                        just give it a good thwack with a rubber mallet, that all i did
                        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I tried that and it shot across the garage.. lol
                          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                          VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I never found a BP that had a steel oil pan. I found other Mazda engines with the shallow steel pan and aluminum girdle plate. If there had been a BP with a steel pan that bolted up to my engine, I would have used it for sure. As for the cap on the automatic pans, yes they are a pain to get back in, just keep trying. My last race car had an auto pan and that cover ended up partially melting, due to the long tube header running close by.

-Jon

Comment

Quoted from wiki.. < lmao

The 1,839 cc (1.839 L; 112.2 cu in) BP is a dual-overhead variant of the B8. It was first found in the 1989 Mazda Familia and American-market 1990 Mazda Protege LX. This engine was dubbed BP-ZE and featured a forged crankshaft, piston oil squirters, a structural aluminum oil pan with cooling fins, and Variable Inertia Charging System (VICS). This particular variant can be found in the following vehicles:

There is also a non-performance version that is most easily recognized by its black stamped-steel oil pan. It also features a cast crankshaft, no oil squirters, a plastic oil pickup tube and less aggressive camshafts. It is found in the 1995-1998 Mazda Protege ES.

Aussie market, so probably why you haven't seen one before.
                              Last edited by jinx; 08-03-2010, 07:02 PM.

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
                              HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
                              Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

Working...
                              X