Should I buy a GTR swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy a GTR swap?

I've decided that I deff want boost. I was thinking about piecing together a GTX setup and throwing it on my current BP or even a T3 setup. But TBH I'd rather have a OEM setup. It just seems like its less trouble. So online I've found a GTR swap that includes everything even the harness and ECU for $2200, GTX swaps can be found for $1800ish so that price on the GTR setup is pretty good for a drop in ordeal IMO. What do you guys think I should do? Jinx also gave me the idea of getting a front clip, I've got no idea where to get one or if anyone has a GTX/R front clip though. Not to mention it would be a lot more to ship and the base cost.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

I'd either get the GTR or boost your BP.

To be honest, i'm not sure i understand the point of buying GTX motors....

Comment

boost your existing BP. you'll be happier lol
      Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
      99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
      01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

If you find a GTR engine...then damn that's going to last a long ass time, and give you lots of power...

Boosting your n/a BP will cost less obviously, but you can get specific with your setup
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

GTR swap,
          $2200 for engine package
          $500 for shipping
          $400 for clutch
          $500 for exhaust
          $400 for new fluids, sensors, belts, hoses, fan, radiator, misc.
          $400 for FMIC
          $600 for new brakes and what ever to freshen up your car while you've got it all torn apart
          That's $5k for 220 reliable HP.
          That's if the turbo and internals are in good shape

How much to get the same reliable HP from your BP?
          Comlete engine rebuild,
          intake, exhaust mani, TB, TPS, ect
          FMIC
          Clutch package,
          ECU
          Harness upgrade or replacement

I guess what I'm saying is which is more important to you, time or money? How much do you like dirty fingernails?
          1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
          1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
          2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
          1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
            GTR swap,
            $2200 for engine package
            $500 for shipping
            $400 for clutch
            $500 for exhaust
            $400 for new fluids, sensors, belts, hoses, fan, radiator, misc.
            $400 for FMIC
            $600 for new brakes and what ever to freshen up your car while you've got it all torn apart
            That's $5k for 220 reliable HP.
            That's if the turbo and internals are in good shape

How much to get the same reliable HP from your BP?
            Comlete engine rebuild,
            intake, exhaust mani, TB, TPS, ect
            FMIC
            Clutch package,
            ECU
            Harness upgrade or replacement

I guess what I'm saying is which is more important to you, time or money? How much do you like dirty fingernails?
            Your prices are way high. usually shipping is in the 200-250 range. It will come with a 4wd tranny that he could sell also. I dont understand why he couldnt use the stock clutch for now, fmic's are 250 at most, his car is taken care of so i doubt it'll need new brakes and all that stuff. I'm pretty sure he just needs the motor, ecu, 460cc, or run a resistor pack on the gtr injectors trubendz exhaust, wideband, and dp made and call it a day
            Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
            "Who Dey"

Comment

I vote get the complete GTR.
              Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                Your prices are way high. usually shipping is in the 200-250 range. It will come with a 4wd tranny that he could sell also. I dont understand why he couldnt use the stock clutch for now, fmic's are 250 at most, his car is taken care of so i doubt it'll need new brakes and all that stuff. I'm pretty sure he just needs the motor, ecu, 460cc, or run a resistor pack on the gtr injectors trubendz exhaust, wideband, and dp made and call it a day
                stock clutch (his specific one) will not hold

the motor is coming from canada mostly likely so yes.. $500 after boarder BS

all and all after doing a GTR swap and seeing all the receipts and knowing everything that needs done and all the little stuff that pops up. $3-$5K total sounds right depending on if you go with a MS or stock ECU and how much stuff you check.
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

id say, boost your motor and buy a spare BP.

yes a GTR motor will make oodles of power but it has novelty value in a street car. look at everyone who has had one they all break trannies and other parts.
                  -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

it costs a good penny to swap it out right and do everything right without takin any short cuts i know first hand so does md323 and jinx
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                      Subtract from total for,
                      resourcefulness,
                      connections,
                      ability,
                      time.

Yea it might be a little high. I just hate to see people run out of money midstream and have to start cutting corners, or worse yet, sell after months of stagnation.
                      1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                      1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                      2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                      1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                        Subtract from total for,
                        resourcefulness,
                        connections,
                        ability,
                        time.

Yea it might be a little high. I just hate to see people run out of money midstream and have to start cutting corners, or worse yet, sell after months of stagnation.
                        cant put it any simpler than this
                        -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                          stock clutch (his specific one) will not hold

the motor is coming from canada mostly likely so yes.. $500 after boarder BS

all and all after doing a GTR swap and seeing all the receipts and knowing everything that needs done and all the little stuff that pops up. $3-$5K total sounds right depending on if you go with a MS or stock ECU and how much stuff you check.
                          I was refering to the one that comes with the motor
                          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                          "Who Dey"

Comment

I know of someone on this site that has a complete GTR motor minus the harness and ecu. your your harness and get MS. He bought it years ago for his car and never put it in. He would love to sell it complete, and it's on your side of the US.
                            Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Originally posted by deadly_sleeper View Post
                              I know of someone on this site that has a complete GTR motor minus the harness and ecu. your your harness and get MS. He bought it years ago for his car and never put it in. He would love to sell it complete, and it's on your side of the US.
                              tell me please... i have a new project in the works
                              -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X