Replacing CV Axle on 91 Pro LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing CV Axle on 91 Pro LX

Hey guys, today I got an offer for a side job replacing a CV axle on a 91 Protege LX, the outer boot is toasted and it clicks real bad when turning.

I've done some research on it and it doesn't look like its too hard to replace but I thought it'd br a good idea to ask for some tips or tricks before I accepted it. Also how long do you guys think it would take to R&R the part. Its a DOHC Auto car.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    1988 323 GTX - "Miss Becky" - VJ-11, Autometer Sport Comp boost gauge, Sachs Clutch, K&N Air Filter. Freshly rebuilt engine with Clevite Bearings, Fel-Pro Gaskets and NGKs, 2.5" Exhaust from turbo back with a Turbo muffler.

1970 Chevelle SS - "Krista"/"ALMYDOE" - restored from the ground up, 350/350, lowered 2" frnt 1" rear, flowmaster 40 series, Holley Street Avenger, GMPP intake, American Racing Torqlites. (Ported and Polished ZZ4 Aluminum Heads coming soon)

You can buy a rebuilt axle from NAPA for $100+. Getting the stub out of the tranny is the hard part. Sometimes it's a PITA. Personally, I use a crowbar with the proper wedge shape and pitch angle at the end. A BFH can also do the job sometimes if you have the right size and shape stock to put the pressure where you need it.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

I haven't replaced one on a BG yet, but they arent too hard to do. The biggest issue is them being stuck in the trans. Which one are you replacing? IIRC, the pass. side is a half-shaft and the driver side is a normal shaft. As for the R&R rate, it depends on your skill level and if the shaft is stuck. If everything was to go smoothly with no issues I'd say total time would be no more then an hour. If you do come across problems, well then who knows!

Comment

Im replacing the drivers side. The job books at 1.1 hours. I just need a few bucks to fund my engine build in the GTX.

1988 323 GTX - "Miss Becky" - VJ-11, Autometer Sport Comp boost gauge, Sachs Clutch, K&N Air Filter. Freshly rebuilt engine with Clevite Bearings, Fel-Pro Gaskets and NGKs, 2.5" Exhaust from turbo back with a Turbo muffler.

1970 Chevelle SS - "Krista"/"ALMYDOE" - restored from the ground up, 350/350, lowered 2" frnt 1" rear, flowmaster 40 series, Holley Street Avenger, GMPP intake, American Racing Torqlites. (Ported and Polished ZZ4 Aluminum Heads coming soon)

Comment

It's easy assuming the axle pops like it should. Search for stuck axle threads and decide if you wanna try it or not. Personally every automatic tranny I've had was a total bitch to get axles out of. If they are paying you good then go for it, if not then don't. And it really helps to have it on a lift if possible so you can get leverage.
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I was thinking bout putting it on the rack, but that means I have to move the 71 Chevelle, 2 69 Camaros and a 55 Bel Air muahahaha

Comment

So I changed the CV axle in about 2 hours due to the fact that I was doing it in front of the shop on ny back. I got lucky that the outer splines popped right out of the hub just by putting pressure on the stub with my hand. The I wedged my short pry bar in between the axle cup and trans and hit it with a hammer. I only had ~3" of room to swing the hammer a few short hard hits and it popped right out. Made $220 bucks in ~2 hrs so im not complaining, and the best part is that he's gonna start bringing his stuff to me now

Comment

Cool.
                I did my driver's side last December and now the passenger side is rattling.
                If you're gonna talk about all those other cool cars, pics must be posted! Get that gallery loaded up.
                2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Chevyboy...I agree with VW.fe203- pics or its not true! LOL Anyways, I will gladly take one of those Camaro's off your hands. My favorite year Camaro and after working on the restored one at the shop, I can not get over needing one!

Comment

Well here's a pic of my 1970 Chevelle which has been my DD since I was 16. I replaced both 1/4 panels, both fenders all 4 fender wells, its got a 350/350 combo, dropped 2 in front 1 in back, energy suspension bushings, buckets from a 71 SS and a console out of a 72 SS, new carpet and seat covers. Its my dream car the bzt part is I built it myself in the drive way.

Comment

Originally posted by vw.fe2o3 View Post
                      Cool.
                      I did my driver's side last December and now the passenger side is rattling.
                      If you're gonna talk about all those other cool cars, pics must be posted! Get that gallery loaded up.
                      Ok, I'm gonna quote myself here because I'm in the middle of doing this right now and I'm totally stuck. Same old crap, it won't come out of the trans. Need some ideas! This is my ride to work Monday a.m.

Comment

What I did to make life easier was cut the inner boot and pull the outer part of the shaft and all that out, then I took my 12" pry bar turn it so the wedge was against the trans and the bend was against the axle cup and gave it a couple good sharp quick hits with a 4lb hammer and after 2-3 hits it popped right out and almost hit me in the face lol

Comment

Originally posted by chevyboy_0 View Post
                          What I did to make life easier was cut the inner boot and pull the outer part of the shaft and all that out, then I took my 12" pry bar turn it so the wedge was against the trans and the bend was against the axle cup and gave it a couple good sharp quick hits with a 4lb hammer and after 2-3 hits it popped right out and almost hit me in the face lol

That's what I've tried the last hour I worked on it. Had to stop for tonight, I'm beat. I'll give it another go tomorrow and if it doesn't work out, I'll have to put the shaft back together and hobble it to a shop and see if they can swap it. My right hand is numb.
                          Frustrating because I did the driver's side back in December or so. It was a pest, but got it. This is just a nightmare.
                          Then I noticed a little puddle inside the wheel on my bug... leaking wheel cylinder. Great.

Comment

Damn dude that sucks, what year bug is it?

Comment

Originally posted by chevyboy_0 View Post
                              Damn dude that sucks, what year bug is it?

74 Beetle. I actually drove it all weekend on that leaky cylinder, so it's not dead.
                              I gave up today on the CV. Went and grabbed a new boot band and put it back together as is. Probably take it in this week. My first defeat with this car

Comment

Working...
                              X