bg awd tranny ?overflowing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bg awd tranny ?overflowing?

i have searched it and i cant find anybody else dealing with the same problem. i cant remember the exact amount i put in there, but i used 80-90 gear oil(couldnt find any info on the bpt trans so i kinda went by the specs for the b6t awd tranny) filled it up till it was even with the fill plug... drove it for a month with no problem. then all of a sudden after i would park, i would leave a gear oil spot on the ground under the car. at first i was thinking one of the axles slipped out or something and it was draining from there but it seems to be coming up and out of the vents on the top side of the tranny. there are 2 wet spots around the 2 vents... any ideas? before long i'll pull the whole thing out and give it a good inspection, but i was just wondering if anybody has ever had to deal with this before. thanks

you sure the car was level when you filled it? I haven't seen ths before.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Maybe the speed sensor is leaking.
      Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
      "Who Dey"

Comment

ya, car was level, well as level as my new garage floor... give or take the difference for the run-off...

only thing i dont understand is why didnt if start leaking before if it was overfilled?

anybody know the right amount to fill it?

maybe i'll pull the fill plug out and see if some comes pourin out, but that should be impossible since thats how high i filled it to the first time and then it leaked some... but i guess i better not rule anything out

if thats not the case, what could possibly be wrong on the inside to make it do that?

i'll take it to the car wash and clean it real good, then after the drive home i'll see if i can find anything else out
        Last edited by BGfamiglia; 04-24-2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

+1 on the whole pull the fill plug again thing.
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

took it out for a drive tonight, damn that thing is fun. i'll wash it off at the carwash tomorrow and then check into this whole fluid leak thing, its definately comin out of the vent right by the tab that holds the intake plumbing, and kind of by the shift lever... i'll take a pic later

Comment

That happened to me exactly on the first bpt swap I did on my bf car (till i gtrd)last year.I have never put gear oil in (m)any of my awd trannies always dex2,started puking out the rubber covered vents nasty mess,I thought,this s@%s too heavy,swapped it to tranny fluid.Good to go after that.Never hurt a trans.using dex2.

Comment

awesome! thanks for the info, i'll try that, do they sell that stuff at autozone or any other parts store?

is there any other types of it, or just any dex2?

Comment

Its plain old dextron,you'll find it everywhere

Comment

i havnt had the time to check the tranny yet, but i have moved the car twice. never more than 10 feet at a time... and right after i park it, it pours out a ton more fluid? that a nightmare... hopefully i have time to look into it this weekend

Comment

still havnt had any time to take my car apart somewhat to see where the fluid is coming from, but its constantly dripping onto the ground now, the last place its touching before the ground is the driver side axle just before the cv
                      and then it falls to the ground. what sucks is that i cant take it to the carwash and spray it off real good because it leaks so fast that i will just have a brand new mess before i get home again,

does anybody know of a place i can buy some die to mix in there so i can see where its coming from?. now im thinking that i will just have to spray it off as good as i can with my hose or borrow a pressure washer from my mom and spray the **** out of it and then fill it with some die added and see where this **** is coming from. by this point there is no way in hell that its over filled because i would have lost way more than that by now.
                      is there a seal around the axle that could go bad?

Comment

Most jobbers should have it,that stuff is great.You got to work fast sometimes cause if you have a slight leaks elsewere you'll have green spots all over the place.
                        Did you change your gear oil to atf?

Comment

There sure is.

Comment

sounds like maybe a leaky axle seal. Did you put new ones in? They're cheap, less than 5 bucks each, if I remember right.

Question, do you still have the snap-ring in the end of the axle? Have you had the axles out? If the snap-ring isn't on the end of the axle, the axle isn't "pulled" inwards against the seal, and you will have a leak. I used an axle without the snap-ring once, and noticed a leak in a few days, usually only after doing enough turning that the CV joint had flexed enough to make just a little bit of gap. I yanked a snap-ring off of a junk axle, put it on, and no more leaks. Hopefully it's a nice simple easy problem like that!

--sarge

Comment

i havnt done anything to it yet, i've had a lot of big projects goin at work and havnt really had that much spare time
                              i think im gonna dig into it this weekend. i have thought about either a bad axle seal, or the axle falling out a bit just like some of you have said, that seems most logical. dont remember if it had the clip on it as i put them in there about 5 years ago(been a project that got pushed aside for a really long time) and of course, i started drivin the thing and really really like hearing the turbo so i was driving it like a jack ass. what can i say, fun is fun. the more i thought about it i was thinking some of my cookies could have pulled the axle out a little. either way, im gonna find out this weekend. i'll keep ya posted, thanks for all the replys

Comment

Working...
                              X