Thermal wrap, CAI boxes, heat sheilds, where does it all end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal wrap, CAI boxes, heat sheilds, where does it all end

I've been thinking about under hood temps lately so finding THIS was pretty cool. My DD doesn't have the heat shield over the turbo so and I've been thinking about just going with a thermal wrap of some kind. An air box would also be a nice way of controlling unwanted heat.

Yes I have the heat shield still but one of the screws that holds it is busted off. The motor came to me that way. I could probably fashion something, don't know yet.

Corky Bell talks about wanting to keep the heat and energy going through the turbine and out the tail pipe as if leaking thermal potential were a fairly serious matter, not even taking into account for under hood temps. (of course he talks at length about the temp of the intake charge)
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

The cold air box we have been playing with on my car really works. I'll try and get a log the next time we dyno. 1 hour on the dyno and inside of the box was still cool.

Comment

i went a bit over board with my heat shielding/wraps on my turbo festiva... i used header wrap that i wove into a 5 layer blanket and sewed together with stainless steel wire that i put over my turbo manifold then bolted the heat shield over the top of it to hold it in place and give it a stock appearance . i did the same thing with my turbo header wrap wove and sewed into a little blanket then sandwiched between the turbo and heat shield. it insulates well enough to be able to quickly touch the turbo manifold heat shield, after driving, without being burned. and my intercooler doesnt get warm to the touch in the area that is only 6" away from my turbo.

turbo "blankets" are available but are expensive but im sure they work better. and look alot cleaner

i did notice a slower rise in intake air temp after i used a single layer header wrap on my charge air pipe from my intercooler outlet to my throtle body.

and as for losing "thermal potential" its pretty much the idea of the thin hot air backing up in the exhaust due to the more resistance of the colder denser air being harder to push out of the tail pipe... there are benefits of wrapping the entire exhaust in a heat wrap or ceramic coating but like everything else its a cost/labor vs potential gain. if yo have spare time you could always buy the 100'x2" header wrap off ebay and give it a shot.
      i know its a piece of crap... but im still faster...

Comment

I'll bet a person could spray the inside of the heat shield with some kind of asbestos/heat reflecting product.

Comment

I work as an insulator by trade, and have been toying with the idea of insulating my entire exhaust system, lol. We have a pretty big job coming up that requires a lot of blankets. So I'll definitely be setting some material aside, at least for the exhaust manifold, hot side and downpipe.
          Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

nice pictures

It honestly took me about 20 minutes to make that one. It's open at the front and bottom to let in cool air. I still have intentions of opening up the fender "pocket" at the bottom and front to let even more cool air enter...then I can seal it up tight!

I also used this stuff called "cool tape" to deflect heat for my outlet pipe from the exhaust/rad system, and after I park the car it's usually, at best, warm to the touch.

There are so many interesting ways of insulating and deflecting heat lol.
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong but the heat sheild on the exhaust manifold is so that you don't burn your hand as bad if you touched it. I don't think it was made to keep heat in.
              Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
              "Who Dey"

Comment

Wouldn't it serve both functions? It probably was originally a safety feature but with a slight bit of augmentation it could provide some extra control of ambient temperature.
                Last edited by 1st Gen; 05-29-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                  Correct me if i'm wrong but the heat sheild on the exhaust manifold is so that you don't burn your hand as bad if you touched it. I don't think it was made to keep heat in.
                  Yes and no. Sure, the top part of the heat shield has a hand crossed out indicating not to touch it. However, the shield extends farther down where it is not easily accessible, ruling out (IMO) personal protection as it's only purpose.

I think the main purpose for the shield is to help control under hood temps, and the added exhaust efficiency and personal protection are bonus by-products.

Just my $0.02.
                  Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

I really think it was for personal protection. With a heat glove or sleeve you can rest your arm on a heat sheild for a little but if it were on the actual exhaust manifold or turbo you'd be burnt up in no time.
                    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                    "Who Dey"

Comment

They're meant to do both to be honest...protect the worker and the under hood temps.

I can lightly touch the cover after a run, but dare not touch anything behind it lol.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                      X