Ok i think i messed somethin up!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok i think i messed somethin up!!!

well this morning i bought some Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner and unplugged the sensor and then i took off the 2 screws holding the sensor in. I was thinkin i could just pull the sensor out but when i took it part way out i saw the wire leads and tried to put it back in and it wouldn't go right back in so i kept tryin to bend the metal leads so it would go back in.. I didn't see anythin break off but i finally got it to where i could screw the sensor back into the housing. I plugged it back in and tried starting the car and now it won't start.. So now i'm thinking i might need a new MAF sensor cuz its not starting.. I unplugged the sensor again and it did start but the check engine light came on of course cuz the MAF was unplugged. Its a 1993 protege with the 1.8l DOHC . Don't know wat to do other than get a new MAF.. Any ideas?
    1993 Mazda Protege 1.8 DOHC.

2 screws holding the sensor in? this does not sound like the mass air flow sensor to me....are you able to take pictures to help? thanks
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

read this. you might get lucky..

DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by tonez79 View Post
        So now i'm thinking i might need a new MAF sensor cuz its not starting.. I unplugged the sensor again and it did start but the check engine light came on of course cuz the MAF was unplugged. Its a 1993 protege with the 1.8l DOHC . Don't know wat to do other than get a new MAF.. Any ideas?
        Our cars do not use a Mass Air Flow sensor.
        This is a MAF

Our cars use a Vane Air Flow Sensor.
        This is a VAF

The VAF physically measures the air by how much the vane door is moved, the angle is measured via a carbon track potentiometer like a Throttle Position Sensor.
        If you 'cleaned' the track with MAF cleaner, you most likely damaged the carbon tracking and it no longer has the correct resistance values.
        There is nothing to clean on a VAF. It either works or doesn't.

MAF cleaners are designed to remove contaminants from the hot wire of the MAF. If that hot wire has a built up coating of oil/grime it will not measure correctly.

The only two screws I can think of that you removed are these...
        -Michael
        '90 Protege SE
        Originally posted by charles
        It's probably to fix that ****ing automatic seatbelt

Comment

Just buy another one, its not like they are super expensive from the classified section.
          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
          "Who Dey"

Comment

Working...
          X