96 Protege problems and OBD codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 Protege problems and OBD codes

A little about my 96 Protege. I bought it off craigslist should of had a mechanic look at it but lesson learned I didnt.I had to get the entire exhaust pipes under the car replaced. I purchased and had 4 tires replaced (but with used tires) The man did tell me 1 tire will be a size smaller(stated this because I read on the internet the uneven tire pressure could effect the transmission). When the car is in idle (i am sitting at a complete stop) the car shakes. And it started shaking sometimes when im driving but not all the time. It end up shutting down on me 1 day and had to have the front left cv axel replaced and put on.

Problem now
    The car has difficulty driving I believe in 4th gear. When I try and accelerate I just hear the engine sounding like vroooooom the o/d lights came on today and its like it just kept making the vroooom sound when I tried to accelerate (speed limit was 35)I pulled over and set for a few minutes and when I crunk back up it drove better and got me home which was up the street. I drove it to advance auto (right before the previous incident)to get an OBD and the codes that came up was:

P1195- Barrel metric circuit malfunction

P0734- Transmission 4th gear incorrect ration

P0400- exhaust gas recirculation flow (EGR)

P0170- fuel trim bank 1

I read (again on the internet) that these codes just will give me an idea of where to start looking for the problem. Im not a genious at cars, but I was wandering where could I start my search for problems. What should I look at. I do not have any money to see a mechanic to diagnose my problem. I will do all the research and learning I have to do. The car didnt come with a manual so Im going to have to go get one somewhere. What should I look at and if you no what I should be looking for then that will be helpful. If you have any helpful information just share it and I will research whatever you are not sure about.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Try cleaning the EGR valve for the P0400 code. It's a $250-$300 part, but a few minutes of our time and a can of throttle body cleaner and WD-40 should be able to unclog it. I'd look at the fuel pump for the P0170 code as well as the fuel filter. The other two I'm not sure about. Can you turn overdrive off and it drive without problems?

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

I don't think I can manually turn it on or off. (If I can how would I do it?) Thanksgiving day I noticed the car had a hard time accelerating backwards or frontwards I so I bought some transmission fluid and took a 180 mile round trip and it seemed fine. the next day we noticed it was hard to shift and added more transmission fluid and still had the same problem.

Earlier today I drove it to advanced auto to do the scarn and got the codes. I stopped by a friend house but the car remained cranked. When I was leaving I put the car in drive and it was still shifting bad and I noticed the O/D OFF light was on. By time I got up the street it was so hard to drive (probably could only get up to 3rd gear) so I pulled over and shut off the car. After a few minutes I turned it back on the O/D light was not on anymore nd it got me home.

Im going to look up how to clean the EGR valve and purchase some throttle body cleaner and WD-40. Thanks for your input so far and I will keep posted on what happens. Im going to check back constantly so any input at all is appreciated.

Comment

There should be a small button on the shift lever under the "safety" button. You should see the overdrive light turn on in the instrument cluster, meaning the transmission won't shift into overdrive.

I could post a couple pictures of an overview of how to clean the EGR tomorrow, but the valve assemblies are different from 1996 compared to 1998. I might pull one from the local junkyard this week and see what I can do for a "how-to".

I'll check my Haynes manual when I get home in the morning and see if it has any information on troubleshooting a problem like this.

Best of luck :thumbup:

Comment

My Haynes Manual doesn't have any information on troubleshooting the automatic transmission besides checking and replacing fluid. Anything more than that and it says to bring it to a "dealer or transaxle shop."

Comment

tragedy continue

Well today my problem got worse. It was still having trouble accelerating. I put it in 2nd gear instead of drive (automatic transmission) and for a while it worked but now that's not even smooth anymore. I could not reverse I could only hear the engine (vrooooom) when I press the gas(which is what I hear when Im trying to accelerate but in drive I still can move a little). I have still been researching and what do you think about changing the speed sensors? I been researching and this is the only lead I could come up with to why my car is acting like this. Ive only looked on the internet and I have done no further testing because I do not no what to look for. I do not want to believe my transmission is gone because that will mean my car will be gone or sitting until January. It only have 115,000 miles (actually a little more). Also, is there an owners manual/repair guide online or will I have to go somewhere like pull a part?

Oh yeah I found the o/d button (duhhh it was not hard to find). And I tried to experiment a little and when I turn the o/d off it drives even worse.

Comment

yeah ... looks like your car is parked untill jan .. the trans is toast if it is slipping that much .accept it and move on .. now would be the best time too pull off the egr and clean it while you source the parts needed for a 5 spd manual swap

Comment

^^Agreed, sadly. Either start collecting 5-speed swap items, or source another automatic transmission from a junkyard or other cheap place.

Comment

What comes next

Well this is the worst news I could get. (or maybe not). Is swapping it for a 5spd easier? Also, when I go to a junkyard (pull a part) am I getting an entire transmission or is it more like rebuilding it with new parts? Another thing, do the job require the car to be lifted (like when you take it to a mechanic) or can you use a jack to get the job done?

Comment

#1 get a haynes manual for your car .. local library might even have one

#2 READ IT

#3 revisit the site having done some homework first. everyone here will do their best to help you sort this out and make this a memorable car for you....But you have to do some legwork yourself and get some general mechanical knowledge. Neither repair is beginner stuff. you will need a fair bit of tools.

Comment

If you go to the junkyard you should be able to get the entire transmission. Pull the old one out, put the "new" one in. Easier said than done of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X