Turboing 1.8l questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turboing 1.8l questions

Looking to do a little messing around with my $200 protege. It's a 1992 1.8 dohc 5 speed, it had a blown head gasket which I replaced with a steel one ( I had a Tsi talon put alot of money into it minus steel head gasket 16g at 15psi 750cc injectors dsm link etc... made 2 runs with it till head gasket when bye bye lessons learn). I came across a turbo kit (t25) for a good price. My question is I don't plan on running much boost 4-7psi. I have been looking on the forums and can't seem to find the answers. Can a stock block handle it? Injectors? Ecu? I saw some posts saying the msp would be a direct swap? My compresson is good, 118k on the motor and tranny, new timing belt and water pump. I just want to play I miss the feel of a turbo.. Call me crazy but I just want some extra out of my car.. Not go to extreme boost. I got this car cheap so I am not worried if its an epic fail ether...

Also can the stock maf handle it

Comment

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...-Turbo-your-BP didnt look too hard ..

Comment

First question, what's all in this t25 kit? Answer that and we can answer what you'll need.

As for a stock block, they can handle 300hp with a good tune. Rods are their weak points
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

it's probably the ebay t25 kit for the Miata where it says "turbo don't hit block" LOL...if that's the case...do not buy it. It will not fit like you want it.

There is (or was yesterday) a 1.8 DOHC GTX turbo manifold/turbo/downpipe for sale for $200! That'll bolt up, clear, and work hard til around 210whp.
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

No it's not the eBay kit. It's off of a gtx my friend wrecked he has already parted out his ecu and injectors. But for 350 I get the whole car. With complete turbo kit, he has a smaller inter cooler and an upgraded one also to go with it. so It would be turbo manifold all piping bov. Etc not sure if I called it correctly (t25) it's a small turbo I believe my
            Talons stock was bigger.

Comment

Gtx as in 88-89 gtx? Did he swap a bp into it? If not then that motor is different than yours and the manifold won't work on your motor
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Ok never mind on that set up. after looking on for sale I found this set up, http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...de-your-n-a-bp!!!!!!!. So would my stock system work with this set up? Thank you turpro for the help.

Comment

Np. Read this section. You'll need more than just the turbo and manifold

FYI, you have a bp. Best thread is called "how to turbo a bp"
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Yes the factory internals are all forged they pretty much come turbo ready, there has been people (this may not be accurate correct me if im wrong anyone) pushing up to 21 psi and all they did for internals was arp head bolts. not sure what they did for the tune though. My room mate has his bp set up with a t3/t4, K-code vaf, probe 2.2L turbo injectors and pushes 10 psi all day. not a Great setup but if he were to tune it and put a gtx ecu it'd pull alot harder.
                    Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

Factory crank is forged, that's it.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

bpt rods will break at 21psi...
                        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

^^ Your right, thanks for catchin that. Aside from that they're strong motors, I have no doubts for boosting these, but i will warn you, poor tuning and or maintenance and or fabrications, just like any other engine will cost you a pretty penny in a short amount of time. Do some digging in the forced induction-nitrous area, im sure you'll find all you need there.
                          Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

Working...
                          X