air intake-the final verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air intake-the final verdict

Ok so l have been doing some research on my air intake. what do you people like is the best way to maximize my air intake, i\e removing tha h-box (what the hell is the h-box), cone fiter (installed), new intake piping, and so no ane so forth

just lookin' for some opinons.

thanx

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

I made one out of PVC,just an L shape going up to the airbox with a stock filter(dirty)
    1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
    Plus new
    1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

N00b question: Is the black plastic thing behind the radiator part of the intake??

Comment

if you are looking to get rid of the big gay ass air box and use a cone filter you need an adaptor to go on the MAF (mass Air Flow sensor). all it is, is a plate with a 3" OD pipe about 1.5" long welded to it... look at my pic......you can buy them on ebay or if you have access to the right tools make your own.......
        Attached Files
        91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
        Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Originally posted by ishwa
          N00b question: Is the black plastic thing behind the radiator part of the intake??
          anything that is connected to the "airbox" (the box type thing in the corner closest to the drivers side headlight) is part of your air intake. there is a piece that is connected to the stock intake that goes over the top of the raidiator and if you ask me doesnt do a god damn thing.........
          Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

heh, i discovered this last week when installing my cone filter...
            it's amazing how much useless looking plastic i took out....
            justin
            Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
            installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

hey i gota question (bit of a noob one but hey, gotta start sumwhere)
              If i jsut changed the airfilter to a cone filter, how much difference(horsepower wise) would it make, or if i wanted more ponies would i need the RX7 vaf i keep hearing about, and more extra piping, or wat else?
              thanks

*i am the yetti*
              protege faq

1994 protege LX DOHC
              stock (for now)
              tan/beige color (for now)

Comment

1 maybe 2hp
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i read about removing the black box will lead to torque loss? or was i reading wrong?

Comment

changing just the filter, all i noticed was a little difference in sound... but seeing as how i have an exhaust leak or two, my car is already a bit loud, and it was hard to guage...

i'm waiting to see what kind of difference there is when i *finally* get my metal intake tubes i paid for in a group buy so many months ago...
                    justin
                    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
                    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

the resinator box is somethign worth keeping. (the black square boxon the intake pipe that has the idle bypass on it)
                      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                      So his engine he goosed
                      With much too much boost,
                      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

with as ****ty as my exhaust was(chunks fell out the muffler when i cut it off) and as smashed in as my air box was with a dirty air filter i i could tell a huge gain in power when i welded my ricer 4" muffler on, then when i just added my intake it was another crazy hp gain......but my car was misstreated b4 i got my hands on it....not it needs lots of TLC......