Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1993 1.8L SOHC Automatic shifting problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 1.8L SOHC Automatic shifting problems!

From the time I bought the car I had never noticed any problems with the transmission other than the fact that at about 55 mph or above the car runs at about 3000 to 3500 rpm's and only noticeably shifts through three gears. And as far as I know the transmission is supposed to have four gears. Now here's the kicker. A little while back I was driving along the highway going just under 70 mph and the rpm tack just dropped to about 2500 rpm's and I felt the power kinda just increase. I could tell the engine was trying less and it drove a lot smoother. However shortly after that it kicked back up to 3500 rpm's and the power again changed and then it started kinda rapidly going back and forth between the two.

I have noticed that I can sometimes replicate it if I keep my speed and throttle pressed at just the right match and it will stay in 4th instead of driving in 3rd. (I'm assuming).

So I've been looking and I found that the transmission has a speed sensor on it and that it can sometimes cause this. Does a bad speed sensor sound like it could be the cause of the problem? Cuz other than that the transmission runs strong. Shifts smoothly between all of it's. It also has just recently had the fluid and filter replaced and it is a nice bright solid red fluid color.

Thanks!

I see you post is a year old. Did you ever find out a solution?

Was the fluid at the right level?
    1993 Mazda Protege LX All stock with 121,000 Miles

Comment

Working...
    X