AC has no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC has no power

Before winter the AC worked like a million bucks, after winter the light does not light up on dash and no cold air at all, any thoughts? thanks!

I did check the fuse, but that is all I thought of checking so far. I figured I would ask the experts.

Comment

switch might be bad?
      1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
      Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
      "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

do you mean the switch behind the button on dash that lights up?

Comment

I probably should have said 1990 323

Comment

My guess is the switch, as well.

Comment

do you guys think I could jump that switch to figure it out? Any idea how that switch comes out? Any suggestions?
              Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
              My guess is the switch, as well.

Comment

You should be able to hook the compressor to the positive battery terminal to test that. I suspect it's fine, though.

Not sure how the switch itself comes apart. Could also be the relay, but I think the switch light would still come on even with a bad relay.

Comment

Switch will light up and the small ac fan will run too if I remember correctly
                  91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

This morning I was playing with the button and even though it does not light up and it does not blow cold air out, when you push the button to the on position the idle of the engine increases and then when you push the ac button to the off position the idle on the engine decreases. I did this a half dozen times and it changed every time I pushed the ac button. I am hoping you guys might have some thought on this development? Thanks!

Comment

Is your AC fan running while the switch is on?
                      1990 Protege 4WD
                      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                        Is your AC fan running while the switch is on?
                        I am not sure what fan you mean? To blow air from dash or under hood?

Comment

Under hood. The smaller fan attached to the radiator.
                          1990 Protege 4WD
                          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                            Under hood. The smaller fan attached to the radiator.
                            The electric fan attatched to the radiator is running constantly. I had the car running for about ten minutes and it is quite warm.

Comment

Both of them?

I ask because I've had issues with the AD FAN fuse in the underhood fuse box getting burnt out due to short circuits in the wiring or in the fan itself. If your AC fan does not run, check that fuse. If it does, your problem likely will be found elsewhere.
                              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                              X