Intro/Another dumb GTX question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro/Another dumb GTX question..

Hey People!..well i just made the switch from protegeclub.com and i see y clubprotege is all the rave...pretty dam cool!

Anyway im SPENONE i have a 90LX with a BP-T swap,NPR FMIC,HKS filter,HKS ssbov,HKS t.timer,HKS Hi-Power exaust..3"downpipe all the way back(nocat)...and an EVOIII front bumper.As for interior its all jet black with custom door panels..alpine head unit...pioneer 2 ways in front and back..and 1 12" pioneer in tha trunk. my exterior is all primer black..cause i didnt really wanna spend $$ on a paintjob anyway;(heres where it gets wack!)my protege has ..ready?.."An automatic tranny" i know i know.Well this motor has aten up 1 tranny before and this ones on its way to tranny heaven also so im looking for a nice 323 hatchback with a 5spd in it to start my gt(x?/r?) conversion (without the AWD of coarse )

So heres the question..can i bolt up a vj-23 manifold and the turbo to a gtx motor without having to do internals..or run xtra oil lines?..will it last?...any info will be really appriciated (protegeclub was kinda eh/watever about the whole thing..although some of em are cool over there).another thing i ask alot of questions so if any of u wouldnt mind me taking down your s/n's to ask u some things about the whole BPT thing it would be helpful..thanx again hope to be here for awhile

thnx to cablemirc for his info also.

welcome to the light....

Internals have everyhing to do with hw much you want out of your engine. Are you going to run retarded amounts of boost? the volume and masss low rate of the vj23 is a lot igher than that of the vj20, not to mention a difference in stock pressures, (vj23 = 15psi) if you are being sane about it your internals should be fine.

However if you want to "go nutz" have the turbo run at 32psi, i would suggest researching new internals. flyinmiata has some wicked carrilo H-beam,. But when you do that you are in that "go big or go home" territory.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

..i see wat yur sayin....thanx for the info.........

oh i jus found this...chek it out...

pretty cool huh!?

Comment

The grafitti wizard! Welcome dude.

BTW, i still owe you something don't i............

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
          welcome to the light....

Internals have everyhing to do with hw much you want out of your engine. Are you going to run retarded amounts of boost? the volume and masss low rate of the vj23 is a lot igher than that of the vj20, not to mention a difference in stock pressures, (vj23 = 15psi) if you are being sane about it your internals should be fine.

However if you want to "go nutz" have the turbo run at 32psi, i would suggest researching new internals. flyinmiata has some wicked carrilo H-beam,. But when you do that you are in that "go big or go home" territory.
          A while back Braden boosted his BP to 30+ PSI on stock internals. Well, I'm pretty sure they were stock.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
            The grafitti wizard! Welcome dude.

BTW, i still owe you something don't i............
            you still owe me some decals, lol jeez do0d
            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!
            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

yes but on what turbo, Mass flow rate has everything to do with it. a VJ20 putting out 30psi is different than a vj11 putting out 30psi, same pressure different amount of mass entering

So his engine he goosed

Comment

can the VJ-23 even flow 30 PSI? Well for sure the VJ-11 cant

Comment

flow isn't measured in pressure it is measured in mass per unit time, or volume per second, not force per unit area. and yes you can run a tiny turbo to 30psi, it is just not practical or efficent. i was using it for a sake of an argument.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                    yes but on what turbo, Mass flow rate has everything to do with it. a VJ20 putting out 30psi is different than a vj11 putting out 30psi, same pressure different amount of mass entering
                    Forget exactly, t3/t4 hybrid of some sort comes to mind, but I don't recall exactly, and yes, it was discussed that at those boost levels it did become a "heatpump".
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Yes it will bolt on, Yes the gtr turbo can push 30. I wouldn't trust it past 22.

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
                        Yes it will bolt on, Yes the gtr turbo can push 30. I wouldn't trust it past 22.
                        Just the Answer i was lookin for.

Comment

Originally posted by SPENONE
                          Just the Answer i was lookin for.
                          Sometimes it takes them a few tries...
                          ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                          X