VAF Removable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAF Removable???

I looked but couldn't find anything on the topic....obviously everyone would have posted a how to on this topic...but could someone tell why?? I'm a computer tech not a mechanic (only wanna be).....thanks

DaPro
    94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
    (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

What's your problem exactly??
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I have been surfing the web triing to find a good ram air system for my 94 pro, I don't see where the vaf would connect, so I was wondering if it could be removed from the car, and a ram air system installed, or does it have to stay connected...I have seen alot of people put those cone filters on the vaf instead of the factory filter box....
      (DaPro)

Comment

There's an adapter you can screw onto the end of the VAF and put a cone filter. Search ebay, and search these forums. This has been covered before.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Yes I know all about those adapters.......I don't want that ....I am looking at a one of these

like I said before, I have searched this topic....
          (DaPro)

Comment

no it is not removable. unless you have a standalone EMU. this topic has been covered, sometimes you have to put a little effort into your search, and other times the search fuction just craps out on you. If you remove your VAF the car will start up then die. your ECU needs the VAf inorder to calculate how much fuel it needs to inject.
            1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
            MODS:
            GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
            TO DO LIST:
            EDM/JDM rear bumper
            EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
            Repaint car

Comment

Even with that system you will still need the adaptor, you can't get around it. There is no way you can remove the VAF unless like Adam said you get a standalone system. (~1000+)
              You could easily make your own intake with some 2" mandrel bent tubing, some silicon adaptors, the intake adaptor and a cone filter. Plus a few other things.
              2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Well I have to say I did search on this topic, so please understand this was not a question to annoy...I see replies to questions which have been covered before...it is annoying to reanswer questions alot.....but as I said I did search this forum and another, but I was unsatisfied with the results.....thanks for your replies on this topic....
                DaPro
                (DaPro)

Comment

we don't own hondas...hondas use MAP sensors that are located inside of their intake manifolds, hence why their intakes are just a long pipe with a filter at the end.
                  93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                  02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                  05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Take it easy on him guys. He could search ALL HE WANTS, but we never talk about fully removing the AFM. We talk about the RX7 conversion and stand alone, but he(for whatever reason) wanted to know if it could just be removed.

Comment

if your looking for intake, your options are:

1. buy an adaptor and filter like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763
                      2. make your own cold ait intake.
                      Serenity's Dead.

Comment

for the 1 to 3 whp difference it makes, why bother? just do the cone filter and cut out the air box.. sufficient enough.. but hell, if you insist, don't waste your time with full ebay intakes, take it to a qualified muffler shop that can do mandrel bends and bend/weld you one together.. drill a hole in the side.. pop in the appropriate brass fitting with nipple, slap on 2 2 1/2 inch hose adapters with hose clamps and bam.. intake.
                        peace
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2004, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Any intake system is a waste of money on our car, unless you go full stand alone, and lose VAF altogether. The meter is a SEVERE bottleneck, so it doesn't really matter what the tube behind it is like. Get an RX7 AFM, then an intake, and it should help. Our throttle body is less than 2.2 inches(55mm), so that's a bottleneck too.

Comment

You guys do know that the 2nd gen 1.8 throttle body is bigger than the 1st gens right.....
                            It has been covered before.
                            Also I don't know why people bother with intake pipes on the 1st gen LX's. When I installed the LX intake and VAF on my 323, I swore to god that pipe is more than sufficent (sp) .
                            b
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

How big IS the 2nd gen unit? (hehe, I said unit)

Comment

Working...
                              X