Why does my car keep dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my car keep dying?

Ok, so lately my battery has been dying. So I replaced my alternator. And today my ****ing car died again. So obviously its not my alternator....anyone have any ideas at all??
    Eat ****.

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
    Ok, so lately my battery has been dying. So I replaced my alternator. And today my ****ing car died again. So obviously its not my alternator....anyone have any ideas at all??
    Is it an OEM alternator or a parts store one? I haven't ever heard much good about the ones you get at Autozone or where ever. I would check to make sure the alternator is connected right. If you can get the car started, try disconnecting the batter while it's running. Unless there's a safety on these cars, the engine should continue to run. That will tell you whether or not the alternator is good, as well as if it's connected to the plugs correctly. If that's fine, you might try replacing the battery. Gradually, batteries will die and no longer hold a charge. Good luck!
    1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8 SOHC
    TCCoA Member
    http://www.tccoa.com

Comment

If it's the same battery that your old alternator was "charging," the battery could be FUBAR. Can't you check it with a hydrometer or whatever they use?
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I had to replace battery when I did the alternator as well. As for Autozone alternators if you bought one that could be the problem. My good friends 92 LX went through 4 of them before he actually got one from them that worked.
        2000 Chevy Prism - Grocery getting daily driver.

91 Pro LX - K&N Cone filter, MX-3 Seats, SE-R Shift boot, ZX2 struts, Terra springs w/ 1.75" drop.

94 Pro DX - Totaled

87 Jetta GLI - Sold

Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocross is for fast drivers.

Comment

Damn, well I bought the alternator from autozone. And the battery that I just put on, had been drained by my old alternator. Then, the guy that checked the battery said it was fine and just re-charged it for me. Imma go test out the alternator now!
          Eat ****.

Comment

check on the H box to make sure the idle air hose is connected it should be on the bottom
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Change the battery. I never bother with recharging a battery after it has died out.
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

OK, well I got the car started and running, and disconnected the battery and the car still ran. SO the alternator is good. The battery died again, so Im going to take it back to Checkers tomorrow and get a new one. Im hoping and praying that its just the battery not holding a charge!! Cross your fingers for me!!
                Eat ****.

Comment

uhhh...when I had alternator problems (I too had to replace my alternator 4 times GD autozone) I tried disconnecting the battery, the car still ran. Went to Autozone and had them check it out. Guess what the alternator was bad. So you still might want to have checkers check the alt. also.

Comment

Working...
                  X