Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More ignition timing questions

So on a BP motor with stock na ECU.

You have base timing which should be somewhere in between 10-12 degrees base. If you check the timing at 4k rpms where should the timing be. I know on Hondas or other n/a cars I have tested after 3-3500 they go to full advance so you are basically seing what the car will be seing at Wide open throttle. Usually about 20 degrees more. Are these cars suppose to do that?
    Geovannie
    88 BP 323 Turbo
    13.52@104.13 12psi
    www.titanmotorsports.com

Originally posted by Geovannie
    So on a BP motor with stock na ECU.

You have base timing which should be somewhere in between 10-12 degrees base. If you check the timing at 4k rpms where should the timing be. I know on Hondas or other n/a cars I have tested after 3-3500 they go to full advance so you are basically seing what the car will be seing at Wide open throttle. Usually about 20 degrees more. Are these cars suppose to do that?
    Let me get back to you on this one....

Comment

Thanks I am really interested in this. Like your car is at 18degrees advance at idle? Have somebody rev it up to 4k and check the timing.
      Geovannie
      88 BP 323 Turbo
      13.52@104.13 12psi
      www.titanmotorsports.com

Comment

I checked with the Miata guys, and they say the BP will run 24 degrees advance at higher RPM. We have electronic advance on our car, just so you know. I'm not sure at what RPM the change is, or if it's linear with a sprung cam or not though.

Comment

Holy **** I had just typed out this long ass reply explaining my problem and it ****ing froze while submitting !! argh. Sorry anyway. Short version.

Car has to run really advanced to run right. My base ignition timing is 25 degrees or so. Anything less than 20 and the car runs like ass. Just extremely rich and it won't really even accelerate. Checked timing marks and they all line up straight up, checked the distributor at TDC it is pointing at #1 cylinder. Compression is perfect.

Could m y ignition have been set to a lock mode where it won't advance the timing under acceleration explaining why it won't run good if I set the timing at 10? Because it actually tries to run 10 degrees while cruising which is extremely retarded timing? Also if I check it at idle it is 25 or so, at 4k it hovers around 23-24 or so. So I'm guessing the reason the car runs good is because it is only seing under WOT 23-24 degrees of total advance which is perfect.
          Geovannie
          88 BP 323 Turbo
          13.52@104.13 12psi
          www.titanmotorsports.com

Comment

Also, in case your thinking I'm crazy. There is absolutely no audible detonation and definately not showing any detonation signs by pulling the plugs directly after a pull. In fact it is pretty rich.
            Geovannie
            88 BP 323 Turbo
            13.52@104.13 12psi
            www.titanmotorsports.com

Comment

I have no idea what to say. If it's running well, then don't worry about it.

Comment

The ECU controls the timing on these cars or they are mechanical advance with springs and **** inside the distributor? If it is electronic then the problem has to be the ecu.
                Geovannie
                88 BP 323 Turbo
                13.52@104.13 12psi
                www.titanmotorsports.com

Comment

The timing is mechanical with electronic advance.

Comment

Working...
                  X