Igniter / coil diagnostics questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Igniter / coil diagnostics questions

Intruder and I were trying to figure out why my car wasn't generating spark yesterday...

There are a few stumbling blocks we have:
    The first thing the checklist says to do is check for error codes in the ECU. Unfortunately, the GTX ECU doesn't support a CEL... and I don't have a code reader, so I don't know if there are any errors.

The igniter test asks for an SST, which of course, I don't have. So I don't know how to test that.

The coil itself mostly checked out okay, although it doesn't generate any spark. The resistance was a little bit over spec for the primary coil, but I would figure it'd still be good enough to generate at least some spark.

So the questions are:
    • How to test the igniter?
    • For what reasons would the ECU not activate the igniter?
    • When coils go bad, does the resistance go up or down? (I'll probably change it anyway, I bet it has 160,000 miles)
    • Am I ****ed?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Also, is it normal for the coil to get hot during operation? We cranked the motor for a couple of seconds at a time (probably a total of 10 seconds) and the coil got really hot to the touch after that.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot, I don't have the knock controller. I'm curious if it's necessary, as the computer may change the timing based on the knock controller signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
        Also, is it normal for the coil to get hot during operation? We cranked the motor for a couple of seconds at a time (probably a total of 10 seconds) and the coil got really hot to the touch after that.
        no that is not normal

Originally posted by charles
        Oh yeah, I forgot, I don't have the knock controller. I'm curious if it's necessary, as the computer may change the timing based on the knock controller signal.
        umm it i dont think it is 100% nessicery it might be a problem down the road. I think it is a good idea to invest in one as it does help prevent continuous detonation.
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I definately want it, as the best pump gas is 91 octane. What I meant is, if the ECU will allow the car to run without it plugged in at all? I can't really tell from the wiring diagrams, somebody with a BPT would have to tell me.

Comment

You gus don't have Sunoco Ultra 94??
            Boourns.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I could get 100 octane. But that isn't all that practical.

Comment

OK, well, it isn't the coil. I switched it with another one. The car is making the coil hot (and even a little smoky) almost instantaneously. That leads me to believe I ****ed up on the wiring. I'm going to try switching the igniter, next.

Comment

Working...
                X