Mazda steering wheels for the Protegé

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda steering wheels for the Protegé

Just got myself a '94 LX last Monday. As all Protegé steering wheels, the padding at the top of the wheel rotates around the metal inner ring. Ofcourse I'd just take my '79 RX-7 wheel out of my 323 and put it in the Protegé but the LX has cruise control, and the buttons are ofcourse on the wheel.

So I ask, what other Mazda wheels will work in the Protegé(meaning horn and cruise)?

I don't want to get one with the airbag in it. I guess I could just take the airbag out of any other Mazda wheel that has the cruise buttons(626/MX-6, possibly 929/Millenia), or if there were wiper-stalk mounted cruise controls that could work too.
    I'd prolly never use cruise, but I know the one time when I could really use it I'd like to have it.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

I was gonna try to poke a hole in my wheel with a syringe full of crazy glue...not sure if that'll werk though
    '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
    Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

Nah, the syringe would get glued together before you could get it in the wheel...or the syringe would get glued to the wheel.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

i have an mx5 steering wheel... if u'd like...but it doesnt have the center part...and the cruise control buttons are on the wheel itself...coz its the one that has an airbag....

ill post a pic if u'd like to see.

Comment

Why dont you just try to relocate the buttons? I think cablemirc (not sure) put an MX-3 wheel, then put his buttons on the MX-3 wheel. If anything im sure you could mount the buttons to another steering wheel w/o cruise. Even if you get a wheel with cruise you might have problems with the wiring.

Comment

Guess I'll try to put the buttons on a wheel at the junkyard next time. I wouldn't mind a '92 MX-3 wheel with the squared key emblem, it would match the emblem on my Protege.

Comment

Not all of them do that. Search some JYs and you'll find one.
              My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
              - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

its not normal for the rubber to seperate from the metal ring of the steering wheel....

my mx3's original wheel had that problem so i got another one at the yard that wasn't ****ed up. Works fine for me, when it was installed.
                93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

yeah my steering wheel is fine too, i think it happens to people who leave there cars in the sun and try to twist the grip part... thats my thought
                  91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

Comment

Just so you know, the cruise control buttons come off with 2 screws, then all you will have to do on your new wheel is cut a slot in it like the factory wheel. I would seriously try and relocate the buttons, just extend some wires, and a custom button holder and it'll look good. Just so you guys know the 1st gen DSM wheels fit and look really nice, the only problem is the plastic ring for the turn signals dont work so you will have to click them on and off on your own instead of it clicking back to the middle on its own..

Comment

Well, went to the junkyard with my dad yesterday, found a bunch of stuff, including a Protege steering wheel that looks to be NEW, it still has the pattern, no wear marks, no nothing. Also got the power lock relay I needed, MX-3 leather shift boot, stock Protege radio and trim, an extra power window switch(just incase), passive seatbelt spools(which didn't fix my seat belt light problem, so my dad has to order the switch, but these belts were in better condition), airbox bottom(mine has a broken mount), and a few other bits. Still looking for the passenger side splash gaurd(mine is completely missing) and trunk seal...

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                        ...passive seatbelt spools(which didn't fix my seat belt light problem, so my dad has to order the switch...
                        You do know how to "hot-wire" the seatbelts so they won't beep anymore right? It's easy as hell, someone made a how-to... check the how-to board or PM me and i'll tell you.
                        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Thanks to GroHarlem

Comment

To fix my seatbelt problem, all I did was unplug the little plug under the console... the belt light stays on, but it doesn't beep. Took me like 2 seconds.

AAAARGH! I want an LX! I take so many road trips in my DX, and the lack of cruise pisses me off SO MUCH. I hate it when people have it, and just never use it. Our Van and Sebring have it, and I use it ALL the time. Bastards.
                            1994 DX SOHC Auto (Tropical Emerald Metallic)
                            Panasonic CQ-C8400 HU
                            eDi 6500 Components
                            Arc Audio KAR 200.2
                            Elemental Designs NINe.1 Amp (1000W@2 ohm)
                            eD 16ov2 IB
                            eDead
                            Autopage Security System + Power locks!!(KEYLESS ENTRY!)
                            cardomain

Comment

Originally posted by Scott D
                              To fix my seatbelt problem, all I did was unplug the little plug under the console... the belt light stays on, but it doesn't beep. Took me like 2 seconds.
                              you could have done the jumper wire (another 2 seconds at the most) and have the light off too. I hate having idoit lights on when i drive.

93' 5spd DX
                              R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X