88-89 gtx instrument cluster replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88-89 gtx instrument cluster replacement

I was looking for a how-to and a possible list of instrument clusters that will with little work "plug and play" into an 88 GTX. Any protege's that will work?

Thanks

Justin

Originally posted by hokie guy
    I was looking for a how-to and a possible list of instrument clusters that will with little work "plug and play" into an 88 GTX. Any protege's that will work?

Thanks

Justin
    I would try www.mazda323performance.com, there are more BF chassis guys over there
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

As a fellow BF guy that has swapped in a LX cluster with tach into a '88 SE, it's easy!

You gotta remove the steering wheel first. Then remove the cluster surround. There's 4 screws if I remember right that hold the cluster into the dash. Then there's 2 or 3 connectors, and you have to disconnect the speedmeter cable.

I also rolled the odometer back for mine, it involves taking out the odometer wheel and prying the devider pieces of plastic to the side, then spinning the wheel to the right milage.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
        ...I also rolled the odometer back for mine, it involves taking out the odometer wheel and prying the devider pieces of plastic to the side, then spinning the wheel to the right milage.
        I wouldn't say that on a public forum.

Comment

he probably did it to match the actual mileage on the car in which he was installing the cluster
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

HAHA theres nothing wrong with rolling back the mileage on a car that is odometer nullified. which is the case on most cars over 10 years old. the DMV no longer cares.... just so long as your honest with the person you sell it to.... if you sell it.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

what kind of aftermarket does the 88 323 have? are there any springs and struts and **** like that for it?
              91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
              Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Yes, surprisingly there are a lot of suspension options.

I recall reading something somewhere that an LX cluster (from what years I dont know) would plug and play with the GTX. Ive been lurking around www.mazda323performance.com for a bit and havent found a defenitive answer. I thought someone on here did a write up a while back.

Thanks

Comment

I rolled it back to my exact mileage. Why would I roll it back farther? That's retarded. I'm not selling the car or anything. It's a half-done job if you don't roll it back to match the mileage on the one you're taking out.

I also helped a friend install a tach cluster in a '86 Camry, and rolled that back to the exact mileage as well. It's not a hard thing to do really.

Yes, all BF 323 clusters plug and play, along with the Tracer's but if you're getting a Tracer cluster for a 323 you're stupid. Nothing like the 270 degree speedometer! It instowes hope that the car can do 120, but alas it's 82hp, and if you're in an auto like mine, you'll never see flat out 4th because it'll stay in 3rd until you let off(I know this, I had mine up to 103 and I looked down to see about 6300 on the tach. Another time I tried a 4th gear pull from the redline in 3rd(about 98mph), got up to 102 at half throttle then hit the gas a little harder and it downshifted to 3rd).

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

when it comes to suspension the bf has more aftermarket than the bg on corksport.com
                    91 Protege LX ---> cardomain site

91 protege lx: threw timing belt

88 323 se, mods: swapping in b6t, 70% complete, $150 takes it.

99.5 VW jetta 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by 00ProDX
                      he probably did it to match the actual mileage on the car in which he was installing the cluster
                      most older cars are odometer exempt.
                      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                      '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                      '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                      '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Even so, I wanted to do a flawless job, that meant I needed to make the cluster match the other one. Becides, stuff like scheduled services and all that. You can't object to me rolling the odometer to match the other one, just stand there in awe that I figured out how to do it.

Comment

i brag about my car's actual mileage. the odo says like 235,XXX but i didnt have a speedo cable for a year and a half, so its actually around 310,000
                          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

its not very hard to roll the speedometer back
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                              its not very hard to roll the speedometer back
                              Yes, you're right. All you have to do is slow down.

Comment

Working...
                              X