Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90-91 Taillight Differences! (56k = suicide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90-91 Taillight Differences! (56k = suicide)

Upon request, here are a few pictures of the difference between the 90-91 style USDM and JDM tails. Design wise, they are absolutely the same, but the actual lens on the JDM pieces is a bit darker. Colorwise, it is a perfect match for my 323 garnish. On to the pics:

USDM top, JDM bottom:

USDM left, JDM right:

Not a drastic difference between the two, but I definately like the darker lenses more!
    Last edited by Identity_X; 10-26-2005, 06:40 PM.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

I agree. Darker lense looks better.

Question: Is the amber part of the light actually defined with a border, or is that just photos?

Also, do you think the difference could be sun fading? (Just curious.)

/EDIT: Do they have part numbers on them you could possibly list?
    My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
    - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
      I agree. Darker lense looks better.

Question: Is the amber part of the light actually defined with a border, or is that just photos?

Also, do you think the difference could be sun fading? (Just curious.)

/EDIT: Do they have part numbers on them you could possibly list?
      Both of the taillights have the amber part defined by a border. The difference is that its darker for the JDM tails and it shows more because of that.
      I highly doubt that the difference is from sun fading. They are just different, but I couldn't find any part #'s on the back. The numbers on the front of the lens are identical.
      '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Interesting. That would explain why my garnish is darker in color than my taillights.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Very interesting indeed. Thanks alot for this find Martin, I don't like promoting incorrect information.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

I remember Edwin saying something about the part #'s being different and that he suspected the JDM's were tinted. Look's like he was correct again. lol

Originally posted by TheMAN
            I've had a theory for some time that it maybe smoked compared to the lesser models (such as the clair and interplay)... I think so because the factory part numbers are not the same
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

No problem, that's what we are here for

If anyone knows where the part number of the taillights is located, please share!
              It's also possible that they are the same part #, but were produced in different parts of the world and thus the little difference in color?
              '91 LX

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
                I remember Edwin saying something about the part #'s being different and that he suspected the JDM's were tinted. Look's like he was correct again. lol
                I have both pairs in front of me so if Edwin can shed some light on where the part #'s are located, I'd be more than happy to check them and post the info
                '91 LX

Comment

funny stuff...the garnish on the 2nd gens is brigther in color on the jdm models

i <3 my jdm tails

blingAr111
                  93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                  02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                  05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Thanks for the insight on the matter. I'll take a look at the actual bulbs tomorrow to see if they are different in any way.
                    '91 LX

Comment

Is this difference limited to the '90-'91 lights or also applicable to the '92-'94 style as well?

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                        Is this difference limited to the '90-'91 lights or also applicable to the '92-'94 style as well?
                        I have no idea. However, I do have a set of '92-'94 USDM tails that I could compare to the '90-'91 JDM ones. Not sure how accurate that will be though.
                        '91 LX

Comment

I just examined every centimeter of the tails and was not able to find a part #, except for the same one that was on the lens itself. I did look at the bulbs and they are in fact different. Both taillights have bulbs made by Koito as expected. Here are the wattage differences. For backup/turnsignal: USDM (27W), JDM (21W). For taillight bulb: USDM (27/8W), JDM (21/5W)
                          Just thought I'd share
                          '91 LX

Comment

Working...
                          X