Update on the HID situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on the HID situation

Well, I got the HID setup. I've been comparing the bulbs that are with it and I don't think I can get them to work whatsoever in the stock housings. The 9006 bulbs are far to small to work inside a 9004 housing, which would have been glare-y probably, but I don't even have a chance to attempt to fix the potential glare since they just won't fit.

I wanted to put the HIDs in some projector foglights, but I can't find any for the price I want, and it would bring up the issues of legality as I would have to mount them weird and they would effectively be the driving lights, which would be fine if they weren't going to be so blue.

The 9006 bulbs would fit in the EGT's stock foglight housings with some small modifications, but it would pretty much be a waste of time.

So what I'm going to do is this:
    1. Clean the stock housings, upgrade the wiring to the bulbs, and adjust them perfectly

2. Put some yellow bulbs in the EGT foglights since it will look cool

3. Over spring break use fiberglass and possibly other materials to make a grill that'll be a housing for two driving lights.

I think the three pairs of lights will beat the HIDs pretty bad as far as actual light output, and cost less. They won't look as nice though, but I tried.

If anyone has ideas for foglights that are road legal then feel free to make suggestions.

mount some integra round running lights as fogs.

JACK
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by 1967cutlass
      Well, I got the HID setup. I've been comparing the bulbs that are with it and I don't think I can get them to work whatsoever in the stock housings. The 9006 bulbs are far to small to work inside a 9004 housing, which would have been glare-y probably, but I don't even have a chance to attempt to fix the potential glare since they just won't fit.

I wanted to put the HIDs in some projector foglights, but I can't find any for the price I want, and it would bring up the issues of legality as I would have to mount them weird and they would effectively be the driving lights, which would be fine if they weren't going to be so blue.

The 9006 bulbs would fit in the EGT's stock foglight housings with some small modifications, but it would pretty much be a waste of time.

So what I'm going to do is this:
      1. Clean the stock housings, upgrade the wiring to the bulbs, and adjust them perfectly

2. Put some yellow bulbs in the EGT foglights since it will look cool

3. Over spring break use fiberglass and possibly other materials to make a grill that'll be a housing for two driving lights.

I think the three pairs of lights will beat the HIDs pretty bad as far as actual light output, and cost less. They won't look as nice though, but I tried.

If anyone has ideas for foglights that are road legal then feel free to make suggestions.
      I've got yellow driving lights and am very pleased with them. They light up the road well.

Good luck with that. Post pics when your done.

Comment

Finding yellow 881 bulbs for the GT might be difficult. NOKYA makes some that are pretty decent, they were actually the only set I was able to find and got them from eBay.
        Not the sports page Not a magazine

Comment

Only problem is how they make the bulbs yellow, simply coating the glass yellow eliminates all the other colors, whereas the fogs on a Lexus (for example) simply produce far less blue light (the most glare-y), giving them a yellow look.

Comment

Working...
          X