Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the 3rd gen pro steering wheel work in a BG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the 3rd gen pro steering wheel work in a BG?

Will the 3rd gen protege steering wheel work in a first gen? I know the hub/spline count are the same, but are the cruise control hookups similar enogh to work? If not, are there any that will work? I want a custom wheel, but I don't want to lose my cruise control.

Originally posted by TRRC
    Will the 3rd gen protege steering wheel work in a first gen? I know the hub/spline count are the same, but are the cruise control hookups similar enogh to work? If not, are there any that will work? I want a custom wheel, but I don't want to lose my cruise control.
    All mazda steering wheels are supposed to be interchangeable.

If you can't find a steering wheel that will keep your C/C, you can make some custom buttons on the dash.

Comment

I know they're mechanically interchangeable, but I don't want to do a ton of hacking to figure out where to put buttons and stuff. the 3rd gen pro has the cruise on the wheel, and I will try one from the J/Y before too long. Didn't mazkid put one in his car?

Comment

I know they're mechanically interchangeable, but I don't want to do a ton of hacking to figure out where to put buttons and stuff. the 3rd gen pro has the cruise on the wheel, and I will try one from the J/Y before too long. Didn't mazkid put one in his car?
        I didn't...I put a '79 RX-7 wheel in my '88 323, and plan on a Millenia wheel in my Miata in the near future. I don't mind my Protege's steering wheel since it's like brand new and the MX-3 center is nice too.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

If the connectors on the 3rd gen wheel aren't the same, which I doubt they are, just cut and splice the 1st gen connectors in.

Comment

The problem is the way the cruise and stuff gets power. there's a plug that actually rotates somehow with the wheel, and everything plugs into it. Then the wheel has a slot on it's the hub that fits over the plug. Now, if the 3rd gen has the same plug or at the least, something similar, it will work. I will try to test fit one this week.

Comment

The problem is the way the cruise and stuff gets power. there's a plug that actually rotates somehow with the wheel, and everything plugs into it. Then the wheel has a slot on it's the hub that fits over the plug. Now, if the 3rd gen has the same plug or at the least, something similar, it will work. I will try to test fit one this week.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Comment

Let me know so I can steal the wheel from the pro5 and throw it on the 91 and get a discount from the insurance company for having an air bag.
                Just kidding but it would be nice to have the nardi wheel in the 91.
                c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Won't the airbag not connected to anything lead to problems? Such as having it randomly go off while driving?
                  Not the sports page Not a magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Hadoken
                    Won't the airbag not connected to anything lead to problems? Such as having it randomly go off while driving?
                    It won't go off unless it has power.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadoken
                      If it's connected to nothing, an airbag is harmless. Connect it to a car battery and it'll blow. Quite fun I must say, to see a Probe airbag about 70 ft in the sky in a cloud of smoke.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                        It won't go off unless it has power.
                        Besides, since you have to take the front cover off anyway, just remove the airbag. The, sell it on ebay or trash it.

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                          If it's connected to nothing, an airbag is harmless. Connect it to a car battery and it'll blow. Quite fun I must say, to see a Probe airbag about 70 ft in the sky in a cloud of smoke.
                          Haha, we did that to the new kid at work as he walked in the door one day.

Comment

Originally posted by TRRC View Post
                            so how did putting the new 3rd gen wheel on the 1st gen work for ya? i had my eye on the smooth shape of the 3rd gen too... but don't want to bother finding one if i don't know it will work...
                            My Cardomain page:
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3208491 -->

Comment

Working...
                            X