Driver automatic seatbelt not deploying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver automatic seatbelt not deploying

On my 1994 mazda protege my driver's seat belt doesn't slide forward. it remains in the dormant locked position. It's not really an issue but it can be rather annoying having to move the seat belt out of the way when i get into my car.

I did a search online and on this site and didn't come across any thing that might help me diagnose this problem and come up with a solution.

I'm hoping its something simple such as a bad wire or ground problem and not a problem with the electric motor that moves the seat belt apparatus back and forward.

so, i guess i'm asking... is there anyway to test the elect. seat belt motor to find the source of the problem?

does your dome light come on when you open your driver's door? My seatbelt acts up sometimes when it gets cold out. between putting a little lube on the door switch and manually shaking the seatbelt latch I got mine working again.
    Good luck!
    miss my '93 LX at every corner
    photo album
    Catch me on Facebook

Comment

no, actually, the dome light comes on when you open all of the doors except for the drivers door.

could it be the door latch? something that simple?
      I remember i had a problem with the gas door latch getting stuck so i put vasoline around it to fix it.
      im going to do try it on the latch. ill tell you if it works.

Edit:

ok i checked the latch. it isn't stuck. but the dome light still doesn't come on with the opening of the driver's door. and the seatbelt also doesn't deploy forwards with the door open either.
      Last edited by protegist; 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM. Reason: new thought...

Comment

Originally posted by protegist View Post

ok i checked the latch. it isn't stuck. but the dome light still doesn't come on with the opening of the driver's door. and the seatbelt also doesn't deploy forwards with the door open either.
        There is a black switch located on the car side door jam inside the opened door. The black 'nipple' pushes in when the door shuts and projects outward via spring load when the door is open.

Sitting in the driver's seat, you can work the 'nipple' with your finger and see if it helps your situation. You may have to lube the 'nipple' in order to cause desired outcome.

I'm a pervert...
        Last edited by martiniac; 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM.
        miss my '93 LX at every corner
        photo album
        Catch me on Facebook

Comment

take the screw out of said piece and clean it up you should see some corrosion on it and then re install it
          Check out the Pics
          sigpic
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
          Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

most of our cars came with a "special tool" known as a hex key. There is a plastic cover at the bottom of the B-piller..... take the cover out and reseat the gear and see if that is the problem....it could be that it is dirty.
            Last edited by Rice'sRocket; 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM. Reason: miss spell

Comment

Originally posted by Rice'sRocket View Post
              most of our cars came with a "special tool" known as a hex key. There is a plastic cover at the bottom of the B-piller..... take the cover out and reseat the gear and see if that is the problem....it could be that it is dirty.
              do you need this said hex key to remove it? and if so where can i get/buy one.?
              i dont think my car ever came with this key * pre owned*

Comment

I could sell you mine that has never been opened but if you own any tools then you already should own a set or 2. Search Hex key on google and you'll see a few black ones. They are either black or silver......one is metric the other is standard. It will not remove it but will reseat the belt arm. The plastic cover can be removed easily w/ a flat head screwdriver.
                Last edited by Rice'sRocket; 01-03-2009, 02:23 PM. Reason: miss spell

Comment

taking off picture due to being an eyesore
                  Last edited by protegist; 01-03-2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

i suppose so... its about the size of a half dollar

Comment

Originally posted by Rice'sRocket View Post
                      i suppose so... its about the size of a half dollar
                      i did not see a need for any hex key but i did have to use a philips to deassemble the nipple * plunger* it has a spring on it and it connects to a tan wire via the plunger.

i took off the interior covering to the seat belt motor and found a block clip * i dont know what to call it* that connects 5-6 wires. ( two plastic block things that have 5-6 wires to them that connect together.

i plugged them in because i noticed they werent plugged in. and now the dome light comes on when i open the door and now the seat belt moves about... 2 inches forward which is a start i suppose. what could be keeping the seat belt from deploying all the way forward?
                      Last edited by protegist; 01-03-2009, 03:00 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Well i opened everything up and looked at the cabel and low and behold, it must have gotten caught on itsself and it was completly shreaded.. like the hwhole winding case was full of the plastic covering over the metal cable that im suprised it even gave 2 inches.
                        so now im at the works of buying a jy replacement cable winding casing and cable for the driver seatbelt.

Comment

funny how its always something on our cars that need replacing lol.

Comment

Hey there, I have the exact same problem. Only my door plunger is working fine, the dome light comes on and everything. I've tried and tried to figure out what where the issue is, but I'm stumped. Finally I took a small 12v battery and connected it to the motor; natually the motor worked fine. So I shut my door and what do you know, the seatbelt retracts just like its supposed to. So my question is why is the motor getting no power when the door is open but works perfectly when the door is shut. I've taken a test light to all the wires and nothing, only one wire has power when the door is shut; which I'm assuming is the wire that pushes the seatbelt back. Thanks in advance and of course any help is most appreciated.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Comment

this is a super old thread, so I doubt ppl who previously posted will reply.

Although I'm sure someone might have some insight for you.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X